Book/Printed Material Image 19 of Volume 2 Volume 2
About this Item
- Shi shi yuan liu ying hua shi ji : si juan.
- Other Title
- 釋氏源流應化事蹟 : 四卷.
- Shijia Rulai ying hua shi ji
- Contributor Names
- Baocheng, Shi.
- Wang, Bo.
- Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress).
- Created / Published
- [China : s.n., Ming Chenghua jian, i.e. between 1465 and 1487]
- - Also available in digital form.
- - Bequest Mary L. McClure December 20, 1944.
- - 明成化間刻本。四卷. Ming woodblock print, ca. 1465-1487.
- - 十四行二十三字. Fourteen lines with twenty-three characters per line.
- - Miss Mary McClure, of Fenchow, Shansi, China, has placed on deposit a Ming edition of the Buddhist work, Shi shi yuan liu ying hua shi ji (The origin of Buddhism and its development in China), originally issued under the auspices of the Emperor Chenghua (成化) in 1486. This work, in 4 juan, and 4 volumes (each page 23 by 41 cm), is ascribed in the imperial preface to a priest, Baocheng, who probably lived in the early Ming since the narrative itself is carried through the close of Yuan. According to Baocheng, there were six chapters in the original version of this work, with the title Shi jia ru lai ying hua lu. Volume I depicts the life of Gautama Buddha through the period of enlightenment; volume II his ministry; volume III the spread of Buddhism to China; and volume IV the reception accorded to this religion by Chinese emperors and officials of various dynasties. Each volume contains 100 paintings colored by hand, each painting accompanied by a page of quotation from other works dealing with the episode in question. These paintings, including the 200 which have their setting in India, are almost wholly Chinese in background, architecture, costumes, utensils, etc. According to a note at the close of volume I this copy was formerly deposited in the now ruined monastery of Tian ning si in the east suburb of Fenzhou, in Shanxi Sheng, where Miss McClure obtained it. During the years 1787-93 the drawings in the first two volumes were redone in black and white under the auspices of a Manchu prince of the blood, Yongshan, who died in 1797. These represent a considerable departure from the original, and the accompanying text is curtailed. This abridged edition was printed in 1808 by Prince Youfeng under the title Chong hui Shi jia ru lai ying hua shi ji, indicating that the pictures were redrawn and that the work deals with the rise and spread of Buddhism in India. Included is an essay by Wang Bo with the title Shi jia ru lai cheng dao ying hua shi ji ji.
- - 御製序云:「此朕於寶成釋氏源流一書，幾務暇，偶爾一觀，不得不嘉其用心之勤也。茲欲重新繡梓，以廣其傳。」劉若愚內板經書紀略有:釋氏源流應化事蹟四本，四百四十葉」，即此本是也。按寶成原書凡六卷，題為「釋迦如來應化錄」，由此可知此本付梓前，已有改編與合併。每一故事，插畫一幅，蓋先雕印輪廓，後鋪彩色，其顏色之鮮明，與歐洲中古時代之寫本書插畫極相似，故西人極寶愛之。卷端載王勃釋迦如來成道應化事蹟記一文，後人因此題王勃撰者，誤也。御製(序)成化二十二年.
- 4 v. : col. ill.
- Library of Congress Control Number
- OCLC Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress obtained permission to make these collection materials available online for educational and research purposes through a collaboration with the National Central Library of Taiwan. However, these rights do not extend to third party uses.
If you wish to use items in this collection, you are responsible for making an independent legal assessment of the item and securing any necessary permissions.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Asian Division, Chinese Rare Books.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Baocheng, Shi, Bo Wang, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Shi Shi Yuan Liu Ying Hua Shi Ji: Si Juan. [China: s.n., ming chenghua jian, i.e. between 1465 and 1487, 1465] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402109/.
APA citation style:
Baocheng, S., Wang, B. & Chinese Rare Book Collection. (1465) Shi Shi Yuan Liu Ying Hua Shi Ji: Si Juan. [China: s.n., ming chenghua jian, i.e. between 1465 and 1487] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402109/.
MLA citation style:
Baocheng, Shi, Bo Wang, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Shi Shi Yuan Liu Ying Hua Shi Ji: Si Juan. [China: s.n., ming chenghua jian, i.e. between 1465 and 1487, 1465] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012402109/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Qian Tang shi er jia shi : er shi si juan
前唐十二家詩 : 二十四卷 / | Qian Tang shi er jia ji Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site. March 17, 1939 543271. 十六冊二函. Sixteen volumes in two cases. 明萬曆間鄭能刻本 四周單欄 白口 單魚尾 版匡高22.4寬13.6公分. 九行十九字. Nine lines, with nineteen...
- Contributor: Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress) - Shen, Quanqi - Cen, Shen - Gao, Changshi - Wang, Bo - Xu, Zichang - Luo, Binwang - Lu, Zhaolin - Chen, Zi'ang - Du, Shenyan - Song, Zhiwen - Zheng, Neng - Meng, Haoran - Yang, Jiong - Wang, Wei
- Date: 1603
Cao mu pu.
草木譜. Incomplete; date of woodblock unknown; title page blank; text not divided into chapters; compiler anonymous; date of print unknown; regarded as a plant taxonomy, with vivid illustrations and scientific names of plants...
- Contributor: Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1600
Liang zhen san guan tong zhi : can cun shi san juan.
兩鎮三關通志 : 殘存十三卷. In case. Also available in digital form. 十行二十一字. Ten lines, twenty-one characters per line. 不著撰人姓氏。按千煩堂書目卷八載是書作二十三卷，後來殊少著錄，日本東洋文庫亦有是書殘本，缺卷十四至十八。考卷內敘事至嘉靖二十八年五月，疑即纂於是年。凡例云：「志必有紀，所以具興廢制置之實，舉政理得失之故，存規畫謀議之概，寓勸善懲惡之微。興廢制置，事同于沿革官職表，而具其大。政理得失，詳著於教化風俗考，而舉其綱。規畫謀議，散備于法制經略考。而舉其概。勸善懲惡，雜見於名宦人物昭鑒傳，而寓其微」。然則全書凡：五紀，二表，四考，三傳。此僅存五紀，卷一至四為宣府紀，卷五至十大府紀，卷十一雁門關紀，卷十二寧武關紀，卷十三偏頭關紀。即所謂兩鎮三關也。卷內有「中岳山人戚希仲氏」長方印記.
- Contributor: Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1522
Pian zhi : er shi juan
駢志 : 二十卷 / Also available in digital form. 十六冊二函. Sixteen volumes in two cases. 紙張稍黃. 第一冊第一葉有六藏印, 宜側重表現之. 十一行二十二字. Eleven lines, with twenty-two characters per line. 原題:「海虞陳禹謨錫玄甫輯。」卷內有:「渠陽張氏家藏」, 「仁卿甫」等印記。自序萬曆三十四年(1606).
- Contributor: Chen, Yumo - Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1606
Keishi shōrui taikan honzō : 31-kan.
經史證類大觀本草 : 三十一卷. | Taikan shōrui honzō Also available in digital form. 二十六冊三函. Twenty-six volumes in three cases. 十二行二十三字. Twelve lines with twenty-three characters per line. 卷一及卷三十一之末題:「江都醫官望草玄翻刻。」板權葉題:「安永四年乙未十月」字樣，乾隆四十年即本也。此本闕目錄及卷三至卷五.
- Contributor: Tang, Shenwei - Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1775