Manuscript/Mixed Material Image 1 of Letter to Major General Joseph Hooker from Robert N. Scott, May 16, 1878.
About this Item
- Letter to Major General Joseph Hooker from Robert N. Scott, May 16, 1878.
- Contributor Names
- Scott, Robert N. (Author)
- Created / Published
- War Department, Washington, D. C., May 16, 1878
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Hooker, Joseph (1814-1879)
- - Army of the Potomac
- - McCrary, Robert N
- - Manuscripts
- - Correspondence
- - Letter
- - United States -- District of Columbia -- Washington
- - United States -- New York -- Suffolk -- Long Island
- - The filing notation on the verso incorrectly identifies the writer as Brown Scott. Concerning the author if this letter the following material is of pertinent interest. It is to be found in the Preface, p. viii, of the final volume, the General Index, of The Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies.
- - "Perceiving that the work required the undivided attention of a single head, Secretary McCrary, December 14, 1877, detailed Capt. Robert N. Scot,, Third United States Artillery (subsequently major and lieutenant-colonel, same regiment), to take charge of the work. "The Publication Office, War Records, "afterward known as the "War Records Office, " received its first definite organization under his charge."
- 20 x 26.5 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Portfolio 2, no. 12
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- online text
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Scott, Robert N. Letter to Major General Joseph Hooker from Robert N. Scott. War Department, Washington, D. C, 1878. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000870/.
APA citation style:
Scott, R. N. (1878) Letter to Major General Joseph Hooker from Robert N. Scott. War Department, Washington, D. C. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000870/.
MLA citation style:
Scott, Robert N. Letter to Major General Joseph Hooker from Robert N. Scott. War Department, Washington, D. C, 1878. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/scsm000870/>.