Photo, Print, Drawing Image 16 of Photograph album, World War I, Palestine and Sinai
About this Item
- Photograph album, World War I, Palestine and Sinai
- Contributor Names
- Larsson, Lewis (Photographer)
- American Colony Photo Department (Creator)
- Pasha, Jamal, 1872-1922 (Associated name)
- Created / Published
- ca. 1914-1917
- Subject Headings
- - Vester, Bertha Spafford, 1879-1968
- - Whiting, Grace Spafford, 1881-1964
- - Jerusalem--History
- - Whiting, John D. (John David), 1882-1951
- - World War I--Palestine
- - Photography--Palestine
- - Larsson, Lewis
- - Pasha, Jamal, 1872-1922
- - Photographs
- - Palestine -- Jerusalem
- - Green cloth and black leather spine bound photograph album containing 296 captioned prints depicting events, troop movements, and military activities during World War I, with emphasis on Ottoman, German, and Austro-Hungarian forces (the Central Powers) and medical services of the Red Crescent, Red Cross, and others.
- - Subject matter includes: Jamal Pasha; the Sherif of Medina arriving in Jerusalem; Zeki Bey and staff; military drills, travel, and encampments; camel corps; Austrian artillery officers and other officials photographed at the Mosque of Omar; Kress von Kressenstein and staff; Enver Pasha; General Falkenhayn; Assad Bey; members of a parliamentary deputation in Gaza; the Mosque of Gaza before attack and in ruins after, 1917; military personnel at the Dead Sea; the Mosque at Beersheba; Prince Osman Fuad and Jamal Pasha at the Salahiyeh School in Jerusalem; British and Australian prisoners captured in the Gaza battle; images of wounded soldiers and volunteers, military funerals, hospital camps, field ambulances, medical staff, Red Crescent surgeon Akif Bey and nurses, the Red Crescent laboratory in the Russian Hospital in Jerusalem, Nashiat Bey and Red Crescent saff at the English Hospital in Jerusalem, the Austrian military hospital, Ratisbon, the German military hospital (Sisters of St. Joseph), the 26th Field Hospital, El-Arish; the ceremonial opening of the Beersheba Railroad; military labor corps; Turkish lancers; dispatchers; Rauschan Bey and staff; Abd-el-Rahman Bey;an aerial photograph of Jerusalem taken from German plane; military spinners at St. George's School and other scenes in Jerusalem; the Sultan's birthday celebrated for the last time in Jerusalem (1917); naval staff of Jamal Pasha; Hassan Bey; Nouri Bey; the Mosque build by Hassan Bey in Jaffa; the grave site of Francis Flood, wounded at 2d battle of Gaza; German, Austrian, French, Italian and Russian post offices in Jerusalem.
- - Included are one photograph of American Colony Nurses/Red Crescent staff volunteers including American Colony members John D. Whiting and Grace Spafford Whiting; one photograph of Bertha Spafford Vester distributing relief to Jerusalem women and children at the American Colony; and one partial photograph (cropped) of Bertha Spafford Vester with Jamal Pasha holding 2-year-old Louise Vester on his lap. See also fuller version of this photograph as individual item within the American Colony in Jerusalem Part I collection.
- - For a closely corresponding album, see also Prints and Photographs Division, visual materials from the Papers of John D. Whiting, World War I in Palestine and the Sinai photograph album, LOT 13833 (H), LC-DIG-ppmsca-13709 (digital files of original photos) and LC-DIG-ppmsca-13708 (digital files of album pages). Available digitized online through the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Online Catalog.
- photo album 11" x 15 1/4" closed
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Part 1, OV 5: American Colony in Jerusalem
- Source Collection
- American Colony in Jerusalem Collection
- Manuscript Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- 1916 to 1930 | American Colony in Jerusalem Timeline, 1828 to 1980 | Articles and Essays | American Colony in Jerusalem, 1870 to 2006 | Digital Collections
- The Locust Plague of 1915 Photograph Album | Articles and Essays | American Colony in Jerusalem, 1870 to 2006 | Digital Collections
- Enterprise and Social Service | A Community in Jerusalem | Articles and Essays | American Colony in Jerusalem, 1870 to 2006 | Digital Collections
The Library of Congress has reviewed the copyright status of the documents presented from collection and is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
The written permission of the copyright owners (and/or other rights holders) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for determining the legal status of an item and securing any necessary usage permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
For further information on permissions rights, please see our Legal Notices.
To cite illustration materials appearing in the framework of this site, please refer to repository, collection, and digital filename information provided in the captions of the individual items.
When citing individual essays or features in the framework, or searchable digitized primary materials included in this online presentation, please credit as follows: Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. Please include digital filename and/or URL.
To inquire about reproductions of Manuscript Division items found in American Memory, contact the Library of Congress Duplication Services.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Larsson, Lewis, American Colony Photo Department, and Jamal Pasha. Photograph album, World War I, Palestine and Sinai. Palestine Jerusalem, ca. 1914. to 1917. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/mamcol.059/.
APA citation style:
Larsson, L., American Colony Photo Department & Pasha, J. (ca. 1914) Photograph album, World War I, Palestine and Sinai. Palestine Jerusalem, ca. 1914. to 1917. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mamcol.059/.
MLA citation style:
Larsson, Lewis, American Colony Photo Department, and Jamal Pasha. Photograph album, World War I, Palestine and Sinai. to 1917. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mamcol.059/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photograph, American Colony Nurses and medical staff
- Contributor: American Colony Nurses - American Colony Photo Department
Photograph album, Locust plague of 1915
- Contributor: American Colony (Jerusalem) - American Colony Photo Department - Larsson, Lewis
Photograph of Bertha Spafford Vester and son John Vester with Jamal Pasha and Louise Vester
- Contributor: Pasha, Jamal - Unknown - American Colony (Jerusalem)
Photograph of two women making Palestinian point lace seated outdoors on a balcony, Old City Jerusalem ...
- Contributor: American Colony (Jerusalem) - American Colony
Photographic portrait of Horatio Gates Spafford, Jerusalem
- Contributor: Krikorian, Garabed