Book/Printed Material Image 10 of Asa Willcox's book of figures, 1793 multigraphed from a manuscript in the possession of the Newberry Library
About this Item
- Asa Willcox's book of figures, 1793 multigraphed from a manuscript in the possession of the Newberry Library
- Other Title
- Book of figures
- Contributor Names
- Willcox, Asa.
- Created / Published
- Chicago, , monographic.
- Subject Headings
- - Country-dance -- Handbooks, manuals, etc -- Early works to 1800
- - Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
- - "The 'Book of figures' is a little manuscript that has recently been presented to the Newberry Library by the Librarian. The book appears to be a guide such as would be used by a fiddler or other musician in calling off the successive movements of dances. It was found some years ago in the attic of an old house in one of the smaller towns in Hartford County, Connecticut."--Foreword.
- - "150 copies multigraphed, October, 1918."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images and full text. (additional physical form)
- electronic resource
- v, 9 numb. l. 27 cm.
- Music Division
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Willcox, Asa. Asa Willcox's book of figures,multigraphed from a manuscript in the possession of the Newberry Library. [Chicago, Monographic, 1918] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/19016393/.
APA citation style:
Willcox, A. (1918) Asa Willcox's book of figures,multigraphed from a manuscript in the possession of the Newberry Library. [Chicago, Monographic] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/19016393/.
MLA citation style:
Willcox, Asa. Asa Willcox's book of figures,multigraphed from a manuscript in the possession of the Newberry Library. [Chicago, Monographic, 1918] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/19016393/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
The scholars companion containing a choice collection of cotillons & country-dances Book. print | 16 p. ; 16 cm. (8vo) | by M.J.C. Fraisier. (Statement Of Responsibility). Signatures: [A]♯ B♯. The foot of the title-page is torn off, and the date as given...
- Contributor: Fraisier, M. J. C. - American Imprint Collection (Library of Congress) - Printed by D. Bowen, at the Columbian Museum Press, for the Author
- Date: 1796
The gentleman & lady's companion containing the newest cotillions and country dances, to which is added, ...
Gentleman and lady's companion Book. print | 24 p. ; 13 cm. (12mo) | Signatures: [A]℗ B♯ C℗ D♯. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images and full text. (Additional...
- Contributor: Printed by J. Trumbull - American Imprint Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1798
The treasures of Terpsichore or, A companion for the ball-room. Being a collection of all the ...
Companion for the ball-room Book. print | 1 p.l., xxvii, 130 p. 16 cm. | By T. Wilson ... (Statement Of Responsibility). Supplemented by: "The supplement to The treasures of Terpsichore; containing all the most fashionable...
- Contributor: Printed for the Author - Wilson, Thomas - Wilson, Thomas (Dancing Master) - And to Be Had of Messrs. Sherwood, Neely, and Jones
- Date: 1816
An analysis of country dancing wherein all the figures used in that polite amusement are rendered ... Book. print | xii, -18 p., 1 l., 194 p. col. front., tables, col. diagrs. 19 cm. | By T. Wilson ... Illustrated with engravings on wood by J. Berryman. (Statement Of...
- Contributor: Wilson, Thomas - J. S. Dickson - Wilson, Thomas (Dancing Master)
- Date: 1811
An analysis of country dancing wherein are displayed all the figures ever used in country dances, ... Book. print | 12 p.l., xix, 139 p. incl. front., 1 illus., diagrs. 16 cm. | By T. Wilson ... Embellished and illustrated with engravings on wood, by J. Berryman. (Statement Of...
- Contributor: Wilson, Thomas - Wilson, Thomas (Dancing Master) - Printed by W. Calvert, to Be Had to Mr. Dutton [Etc.]
- Date: 1808