Film, Video A visit to Theodore Roosevelt at his home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
About this Item
- A visit to Theodore Roosevelt at his home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
- Other Title
- Visit to the illustrious colonel
- Visite à l'illustre colonel
- Theodore Roosevelt
- First film footage taken of Theodore Roosevelt at his home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, Long Island, summer of 1912. Views of the house and surrounding grounds. Roosevelt reviews his mail, assisted by his son Archie. William P. Helm, Associated Press correspondent for New York City and Washington from 1910 to 1918, who was detailed to Woodrow Wilson and Roosevelt during the 1912 campaign, speaks informally with Roosevelt under trees. Roosevelt rides his horse Sidar away from Sagamore and stops to feed horse from his hand; Roosevelt and his dogs set out across field with Sagamore visible in background. Roosevelt, in white shirt and vest, chops down a tree. Band and crowd of men on Sagamore grounds. Roosevelt addressing large group of men from Sagamore porch. American flag flying. Last sequences of band, crowd, and flag were probably not included in original Pathé production.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Roosevelt, Archibald B. (Archibald Bulloch), 1894-1979.
- Helm, William P. (William Pickett), 1883-
- Pathé Frères (U.S.)
- Roosevelt Memorial Association.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Roosevelt Memorial Association, 
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Homes and haunts--New York (State)--Oyster Bay
- - Sagamore Hill National Historic Site (Oyster Bay, N.Y.)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Nonfiction films
- Short films
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association annual report notes film originally released by Pathé Frères under title, A visit to the illustrious colonel. Moving Picture World review appears under title, Theodore Roosevelt. French title undetermined.
- - French language translation title, Une visite à l'illustre colonel, is supplied for the France in America project.
- - One of the intertitles in this version provides production information: "But the Colonel consented and permission was given Pathe Freres, who took the pictures which were shown all over the world."
- - Originally released in U.S. in 1912.
- - Appearing: Theodore Roosevelt, Archie Roosevelt, William P. Helm.
- - MAVIS 180631.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Digital files viewed.
- - Sources used: Roosevelt Memorial Association annual report,1925, p.18; Moving picture world, v. 13, p. 1304.
- - Nitrate deterioration on one interior title printed through on digital file, 16 mm. viewing copy, and dupe neg pic. Some interior titles lacking and nitrate deterioration printed through on several interior titles of 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- - viewing print, 16 mm. and 35 mm. dupe neg pics; Received: 5/1968 from USDA lab and 2/1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - master; Received: 1/24/2007 from VidiPax; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 6 min., 218 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- master. 1 videocassette of 1 (Betacam SP) (ca. 6 min., ca. 218 ft.) : si., b&w ; 1/2 in.
- dupe neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 6 min., 218 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 6 min., 479 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0745 (viewing print)
- VRA 1872 (master)
- FRA 5798 (dupe neg pic)
- FPB 7127 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsHelm, William P. (William Pickett)
Pathé Frères (U.S.)
Roosevelt Memorial Association
Roosevelt, Archibald (Archibald Bulloch)
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
Sagamore Hill National Historic Site
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
Homes and Haunts
New York (State)
Sagamore Hill National Historic Site (Oyster Bay, N.Y.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Archibald B Roosevelt, William P Helm, U.S Pathé Frères, Roosevelt Memorial Association, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. A visit to Theodore Roosevelt at his home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912. [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association, 1920] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000126/. (Accessed December 08, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Roosevelt, A. B., Helm, W. P., Pathé Frères, U. S., Roosevelt Memorial Association & Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1920) A visit to Theodore Roosevelt at his home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912. [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000126/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. A visit to Theodore Roosevelt at his home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912. [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association, 1920] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000126/>.