Please be aware that there are a massive amount of publications in The Library of Congress collections on all topics that are not in digital format. Therefore the only way to get access to them is to search the online catalog and request them from the print collections or click on links to digital equivalents provided in the cataloging record.
To perform subject searches in the Library of Congress catalog it is preferable to chose terms from The Library of Congress Subject Headings, a controlled vocabulary used by most major research libraries in their online catalogs. Please refer to the subject and name authority files to acquire the preferred heading for your topic, named entity, or geographic location. If you have questions about what subject headings or strings to use for your research topic please Ask-A-Business Librarian.
Issue 21: Fall 2014
Latin American Business and Economics Resources
Table of Contents
General Business & Economics Resources
Recent Business and Economics History Resources
Resources for Company and Industry Research
Resources by Countries and Regions
Library of Congress Online Catalog Searches
How to search by subject in The Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Click on one of the examples of subject heading strings below OR
- Choose "Browse" in the online catalog Basic interface
- Choose "Subjects beginning with.." from the dropdown menu
- Use the subject heading strings provided below as a pattern to formulate your own based on The Library of Congress Subject Headings which you searched in the Subject Authority Files
- Alternatively, you may wish to search for a book in the catalog that you know deals with your research topic and then click on the subject headings assigned to that book to find other works on the same topic.
Here are a few examples of subject strings using Library of Congress Subject Headings useful for researchers of Latin American business and economics.
To search for industry information use the following patterns of headings and add a geographic area, such as
To search for country studies, economics and finance:
To search for foreign investment, commerce and international trade:
To search for business entities, search by the name of well-known companies who play an active role in Latin American countries or use general headings for types of business entitites. The preferred forms of some business names can be found in the Name Authority Files.
Last updated: 09/20/2017