"BRICS" is the acronym denoting the emerging national economies of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The term was originally coined in 2001 as "BRIC" by the Goldman Sachs economist Jim O'Neill in his report, “Building Better Global Economic BRICs. At that time, the economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China experienced significant growth, raising concerns regarding their impact on the global economy. Foreign ministers of these countries began meeting informally in 2006, which led to more formal annual summits beginning in 2009.
BRICS: Sources of Information
Table of Contents
Articles / Reports
Other Research Guides
LC Subject Headings
Image (left): Flags of the nations that belong to the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) group in a typographic illustration.
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Generally speaking, these meetings are held to improve economic conditions within BRICS countries and give their leaders the opportunity to work in collaboration regarding these efforts. In December of 2010, South Africa joined the informal group and changed the acronym to BRICS. Together these emerging markets represent 42% of the world population and account for over 31% of the world's GDP according to the World Factbook.
Following are dates and locations of the past BRIC/BRICS summits, along with links to their official websites, statements or declarations:
This bibliography focuses on select Internet resources and print titles that cover the topic of BRICs/BRICS. It is one of several short bibliographies compiled by the staff of the Business Reference Section (BRS) to assist users in quickly locating basic information on topics for which the Section receives frequent questions or supports a specific BRS program.
- 1st BRIC Summit – June 16, 2009 in Yekaterinburg, Russia (Joint Statement)
- 2nd BRIC Summit – April 16, 2010 in Brasilia, Brazil ( Joint Statement)
- 3rd BRICS Summit – April, 14 2011 in Sanya, China (
- 4th BRICS Summit – March 29, 2012 in India, New Delhi (Delhi Declaration)
- 5th BRICS Summit – March 26–27, 2013 in Durban, South Africa (eThekwini Declaration)
- 6th BRICS Summit – July 14–16, 2014 in Fortaleza, Brazil (Fortaleza Declaration)
- 7th BRICS Summit – July 8-9, 2015 in Ufa, Russia (Ufa Declaration)
- 8th BRICS Summit – October 15-16, 2016 in Goa, India (Goa Declaration)
Business Reference Specialist
Last updated: 11/17/2016