The information and sample article links below provide access to a sampling of articles from historic newspapers that can be found in the Chronicling America: American Historic Newspapers digital collection (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/). Use the Suggested Search Terms and Dates to explore this topic further in Chronicling America.
Jump to: Sample Articles
- 1867: Alaska territory purchased from Russia for $7 million.
- 1898: Hawaii annexed as a United States territory.
- 1959: Alaska and Hawaii admitted, respectively, as the 49th and 50th states of the Union.
Suggested Search Terms:
- [Try the following terms in combination, proximity, or as phrases using Search Pages in Chronicling America.]
Hawaii, Alaska, state admission, territory, Cape Nome, Klondike, Yukon, Senator Perkins, annexation,
Walter F. Frear
Sample Articles from Chronicling America:
- Alaska Wants Voice on Floor of Congress, The Washington Times (Washington, D.C.), January 9, 1903, Page 2, Image 2, Cols. 1-2
- Alaska in 1906: Its Wonderful Development and How it is Building Seattle, Deseret Evening News (Great Salt Lake City, UT), June 30, 1906, Last Edition, Part Two, Page 29, Image 29, Cols. 1-7
- Three Million Acres in Alaska Soon to be Opened up to Settlers, New-York Tribune (New York, NY), July 21, 1907, Image 13, Full page
- Uncle Sam is Spending a lot of Money Making Good Roads in Alaska, New-York Tribune (New York, NY), January 31, 1909, Image 15, Full page
- Alaska a Farming Land; Visitors to Exposition Will Get New Idea of Territory, New-York Tribune (New York, NY), June 13, 1909, Page 3, Image 19, Cols. 1-4
- Alaska and Its Possibilities, The Salt Lake Herald-Republican (Salt Lake City, UT), November 27, 1910, Society, Music, Dramatic, Magazine, Page 12, Image 34, Cols. 1-5
- Senator Perkins Erroneously Declared that "The Call" Was the Only Great Newspaper Opposed to Hawaiian Annexation, The San Francisco Call (San Francisco, CA), November 28, 1897, Page 11, Image 11, Full page
- Why Swanson is Opposed to Annexation, The San Francisco Call (San Francisco, CA), December 5, 1897, Page 3, Image 3, Cols. 2-3
- Debate on Annexation of Hawaii, The San Francisco Call (San Francisco, CA), June 12, 1898, Page 3, Image 3, Cols. 1-3
- History Turns the Page on Which Hawaii's Name is Written, The San Francisco Call, (San Francisco, CA), August 23, 1898, Page 7, Image 7, Col. 1-7
- Bill for Hawaii's Admission, Omaha Daily Bee (Omaha, NE), November 24, 1898, Image 1, Col. 5
- How Hawaii Came Under the Flag, Los Angeles Herald (Los Angeles, CA), March 24, 1907, Image 35, Cols. 1-7