CQ Roll Call Photograph Collection
Rights and Restrictions Information
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 20540-4730
Publication and other forms of distribution: Per the deed of gift, The Economist Group dedicated to the public all rights it held for the photographs in this collection upon its donation to the Library. The majority of the photographs in this collection were made by Congressional Quarterly (CQ) and Roll Call staff photographers. There are no known copyright restrictions on photographs by CQ and Roll Call staff photographers.
The following criteria were used to determine if the names on the Roll Call and CQ contact sheets and negative sleeves were Roll Call or CQ staff photographers.
- Name or initials were found in CQ/Roll Call news photos database (http://newsphotos.cqrollcall.com/search-page) with a "CQ/Roll Call" credit
- Name found with photograph in issues of Roll Call or CQ Weekly and credited as Roll Call or CQ photographer or staff.
- Other information online such as the photographer's websites, LinkedIn profiles etc. which verified that the photographer worked for Roll Call or CQ.
- The photographer produced many contact sheets in the collection.
- On the items, photographer’s names often appear as initials or shorter forms. (i.e., MK, L. Patterson).
Roll Call and CQ photographers with variants of names as they appear on item
The photographers represented most prolifically in the collection are: Scott J. Ferrell, Douglas Graham, Maureen Keating, Laura Patterson and R. Michael Jenkins are identified on photographic captions by their initials or full names.
This is the full list of staff photographers identified so far:
Roll Call Photographers
- Maya Alleruzzo ("MA")
- Christopher Ayers ("CA"; "CPA" ; "Chris A." ; "Chris, C. Ayers" ; "Chris Ayers")
- Kathleen Beall ("KB" ; "KRB")
- Scott J. Ferrell ("SF"; "SJF")
- Matthew Girard ("MG" ; "Matt" ; "Matt G."; "Matthew" ; "Matthew G."")
- Gigi Goshko ("GG")
- Douglas Graham ("DG"; "Doug Graham")
- Jamie Howren ("J. Howren"; "Jamie H.")
- Maureen Keating ("MK"; "MAK"; "Maureen" )
- Chris Martin ("CM"; "C. Martin")
- John Mercurio ("JM")
- Norah O'Donnell ("N.O."; "Norah O'D"; "NOD")
- Laura Patterson ("LP" ; "Laura"; "Laura P."; "L. Patt"; "L. Patterson")
- Susana Raab ("SR"; "SAR"; "Raab"; "S. Raab"; "SA Raab"; "Shana Raab")
- Rebecca Roth ("R. Roth"; "RR")
- Marc Siegel ("MS"; "Marc")
- Christin Temple ("CT"; "C. Temple"; "Christin T."; "Kristin"; "Kristen Temple")
- Rachel Van Dongen ("RVD")
- Ian Wagreich ("IW")
- Tom Williams ("TW")
- Kathleen Beall ("KB"; "KRB") [CQ staff photographer]
- Marc Birtel [CQ reporter]
- John Blodgett ("Blodgett") [CQ writer]
- Richard Ellis ("R. Ellis"; "Ellis") [CQ staff photographer]
- Scott J. Ferrell ("SF"; "SJF") [CQ staff photographer]
- Allan Freedman [CQ reporter]
- Douglas Graham ("DG"; "Doug Graham") [CQ staff photographer]
- Alan Greenblatt ("Alan H. Greenblatt") [CQ reporter]
- Rose Gutfield [CQ editor]
- Nathaniel Harari ("N. Harari"; "Nat Harari") [CQ staff photographer]
- David Hosansky [CQ reporter]
- Anne Q. Hoy [CQ editor]
- Mary Iuvone ("MI") [CQ staff photographer]
- R. Michael Jenkins ("Jenkins"; "Michael Jenkins") [CQ staff photographer]
- Larry Liebert [CQ editor]
- Deborah McGregor ("McGregor") [CQ editor]
- Cathy Shaw [CQ editor]
- Jonathan Weisman [CQ reporter]
- Robert Marshall Wells [CQ reporter]
- Mark Willen [CQ editor]
Photographs Not by Identified Staff Photographers
Copyrights to photographs in the collection that were not produced by CQ or Roll Call staff photographers may be retained by the photographer or his/her heirs. For photographs taken by photographers not included in the list of staff photographers or not credited at all, a search of published volumes of CQ and Roll Call may yield further identification.
Privacy and Publicity Rights
Privacy and publicity rights of the subjects of the photos may apply, regardless of whether the photograph was made by a staff photographer or a photographer not on staff with either of the publications. For more information about privacy and publicity rights, please see this section of the Library of Congress Legal page: http://www.loc.gov/legal#privacy_publicity.
Access: Subject to P&P policy
on serving originals.
Reproduction (photocopying, hand-held camera copying, photoduplication and other forms of copying allowed by "fair use"): Subject to P&P policy on copying.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, CQ Roll Call Photograph Collection, [reproduction number, e.g., LC-RC15-1988-1, frame 18 or LC-CQ15-1988-1, frame 18]. ]
For more information, please read: Copyright
and Other Restrictions That Apply to Publication/Distribution of Images: Assessing the Risk of Using a P&P Image
Prepared by: Prints and Photographs
Division staff. Created: November 2014. Last updated: August 24, 2020.