Look Magazine Picture Research File
Rights and Restrictions Information
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 20540-4730
Publication and other forms of distribution: The rights status of the images, which came from multiple sources, may vary. Most, however, were created or published less than 95 years ago and may be under copyright restriction. Privacy and publicity rights may also apply. Included in the collection are:
- Wire service, professional photographer, studio, publicity, or other photographs and original artwork from commercial sources dating less than 95 years ago may be restricted by copyright and patrons are advised to check for copyright prior to publication or other forms of distribution. The commercial status of these images can be recognized by the appearance of the name of a wire service, a photographer, or a studio on the image. More information on specific wire services is available for Associated Press/Wide World, Black Star, United Press International, ACME, and other company names.
- Images by unidentified creators and images from unidentified sources are problematic because of the lack of information. Patrons who wish to show that a reasonable effort was made to determine copyright status should perform a copyright search and retain a record of the search.
- LOOK Magazine assignment photographs - please see the rights statement for the LOOK Magazine Photograph Collection.
- Photographs made by the U.S. government (e.g. military services, federal agencies) are not eligible for U.S. copyright protection and are considered to be in the public domain.
- Photographs from non-U.S. sources may be difficult to assess. Contact persons or organizations credited, if available. See also U.S. Copyright Office Circular 38A (pdf; 318 kb) International Copyright Relations of the United States.
Access: Subject to P&P policy on serving originals. Advance notice is needed to view materials in this collection, which is stored off site.
Reproduction (photocopying, hand-held camera copying, photoduplication and other forms of copying allowed by "fair use"): Subject to P&P policy on copying.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, Look Magazine Picture Research File, [reproduction number, e.g., LC-DIG-ppmsca-12345]
For more information, please read: Copyright
and Other Restrictions That Apply to Publication/Distribution of Images: Assessing the Risk of Using a P&P Image
Prepared by: Prints and Photographs Division
staff. Prepared date: January 2019.