Collections in the Recorded Sound Section's SONIC
(in addition to 78s, 45s and copyright cassettes, the database includes many
broadcast and archival recordings):
- Copyright Cassettes -- approx. 46,800 records. Includes published
and unpublished material. Data taken from copyright file records. [ongoing]
- Recordable Compact Discs -- approx. 3700 records. Includes unpublished
material. Data taken from copyright file records. Primarily "PA" copyright
- 45rpm Discs -- approx. 100,400 records. Inventory of 45rpm disc collection.
Some data taken from copyright file records.
- 78rpm Discs (non-Rigler-Deutsch) -- approx. 82,000 records. Collection
of 78rpm discs acquired by LC since the compilation of the RDI in 1982. Primarily
American jazz and popular music. [ongoing]
- NBC Radio Collection -- approx. 68,000 records. Contains all genres
of NBC programs from the early 1930s through the late 1960s. [ongoing]
- Office of War Information (OWI) -- 8242 records. Contains OWI news,
information, entertainment, and propaganda broadcasts from 1942 through 1945.
Primarily in English.
- AFRTS Basic Musical Library, P series -- 7528 records. Popular music
library discs from the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service. Popular
- AFRTS radio series -- Various AFRTS series on 16" discs. From 1942
to 1959. [to be transferred from NPR database to RS1; ongoing]
- Meet the Press Collection -- 2027 records. The radio program and audio
from the television program. 1945-1984.
- Raymond Gram Swing Collection -- 1298 records. News and commentary
by radio commentator Raymond Swing. 1938-1947. Some of the records have brief
- American Country Countdown -- 321 records. 1990-1996. Syndicated radio
show featuring the top 40 country records in the U.S. for a given week.
- Freedom Sings -- 161 records. Radio broadcasts from 1950s-1970s featuring
the U.S. Marine Band.
- UCLA Collection -- 115 records. Miscellaneous radio programs from
- U.S. Marine Band Concerts -- 54 records. Radio broadcasts featuring
the U.S. Marine Band.1959-1960.
- RCA Victor Thesaurus Transcription Discs -- 54 records. Discs made
for radio broadcast, includes music, auditions, other programs.
- Elvis Presley Syndicated Radio Shows -- 48 records. Contains the following
four shows: Christmas with Elvis, Memories of Elvis, Elvis Birthday Tribute
and The Elvis Hour. These include music by Presley and others, interviews
with Presley and others, trivia and special guests.
- Larry King Show -- 21 records. A selection of King's radio talk show
series from 1982 to 1985.
- Andre Kostelanetz Collection -- 1136 records. Includes records for
his radio shows Chesterfield Presents and Tune-up Time. Primarily from the
1930s. ILS collection level record no.: 99-385960.
- Leonard Bernstein Audio Materials -- 632 records. Unpublished material
from the Leonard Bernstein collection. Spans the 1930s to the 1990s.
- Danny Kaye/Sylvia Fine Kaye Audio Materials -- 218 records. Unpublished
materials from the Kaye/Fine collection. Spans 1944 through 1964.
- Gerry Mulligan Collection -- 151 records. Unpublished recordings,
includes rehearsals, jam sessions, commercial recordings, live performances.
1948-1952, 1953, 1956-1958, 1960-1979, 1981-1982, 1985. ILS collection level
record no.: 98-701932
- Bob Frank Collection (Kostelanetz) -- 108 records. Frank is a relative
of Andre Kostelanetz's who collected a variety of recordings connected with
A.K. Includes radio programs, special programs, commercial recordings etc.
ILS collection level record no.: 90-740036
- Robert Craft/Igor Stravinsky Audio Materials -- 44 records. Unpublished
materials from the 1940s and 1950s featuring works composed and performed
by Stravinsky, some with the New York Philharmonic.
- Klemperer (Otto) Collection -- 14 records. Unpublished material covering
- Stephen Sondheim -- 14 records. Sondheim sings his own music. Includes
songs from his musicals (including ones that were eventually cut), television
and theater productions. Covers 50s-60s. Also includes sound from radio shows
on Sondheim's life and work. STAR also contains about 15 records for instantaneous
discs from Sondheim's music recording collection.
- Irving R. Levine Collection -- 12 records. Levine is journalist, news
commentator. Includes some radio/television broadcast material. Includes undated
materials and some from 1950s.
- George Gershwin -- 6 records. Rare Gershwin recordings and radio broadcasts.
Lester Horton Collection -- 5 records. Primarily interviews with dancers.
- Boris Koutzen Audio Materials -- 2 records, one for a performance
of his The Fatal Oath and one for the Primrose String Quartet performing his
String quartet, no. 2 on an NBC program.
- Duke Ellington test pressings from Valburn Collection -- 1 record
(describes 5 test pressings). Test pressings of Duke Ellington and his orchestra
from the 30s.
- National Press Club -- 1955 records. Recordings of NPC luncheon speakers
series plus some other events covering 1952 to1989. Primarily name and date
access. ILS collection level record no.: 93-842085
- Marine Corp Combat Recordings -- 1473 records. Field recordings made
by World War II combat correspondents in the South Pacific. Includes briefings
before invasions, battle sounds, and personal messages from servicemen and
women to loved ones at home. [ongoing]
- U.S. House of Representatives Sessions Collection -- 1032 records.
House of Rep. floor proceedings. Covers 2/1979--12/1985.
- Newport Jazz Festival -- 548 records. VOA recordings of the festival,
1955-1963, 1966-1967, 1970-1975. [ongoing]
- American Liszt Society Collection -- 194 records. Covers American
Liszt Society annual festivals for 1967-1995 (bulk 1967-1979). Includes lectures
and music. ILS collection level record no.: 97-704419
- Former Members of Congress -- 66 records. Interviews with former members
of congress conducted 1974-1980. ILS collection level record no.: 95-770278
- Test Pressings -- approx. 870 records. Test pressings from the Moss,
Carolan, Altshuler, Spottswood, Carneal and Lincoln collections. Some information
taken from discographies. Primarily jazz and popular music. [ongoing]
- John Toland Collection -- 168 records. Interviews (conducted 1970-1975)
with friends, relatives, and others who knew Adolf Hitler (for a biography
of Hitler). ILS collection level record no.: 00-580491
- Desert Storm Cassettes -- 107 records. Copyright cassettes of songs
about the Persian Gulf War.
- Lyn Smith Cuba Collection: Oral Histories of Cuban Women -- 54 records.
Interviews with Cuban women from all walks of life conducted in 1988 and1990.
ILS collection level record no.: 97-700587
- Vivian Perlis Collection -- 40 records. Contains interviews, musical
performances and other material used for television documentaries on John
Cage, Aaron Copland, and Eubie Blake. ILS collection level record no.: 98-700725.
- Recorded Sound Serials -- 37 records that allow for item-level check-in
- William L. Ewell Collection -- 20 records. A collection of jazz music
from 1960s-1970s including many live performances.
- Bootleg recordings -- 14 records. Bootleg recordings of performances
by The Beatles, Blind Faith, Frank Zappa, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Yes
and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
- Philip Gries, Collector's Choice Archival Television Audio, Inc. --
10 records. Audio for various television programs from 1961 to 1963 (includes
bulletin announcing JFK's assassination).
- Gordon Milne Collection -- 6 records. Jazz music.
- Timothy S. Goeglein -- 1 record. An interview with William F. Buckley
Jr. conducted in 1996.
Recorded Sound Research
Center - Library of Congress Home Page
Library of Congress
Ask a Librarian (August 27, 2020)