Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938, contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves collected as part of the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration.
In a hurry? Save or print these Collection Connections as a single file.
These online exhibits provide context and additional information about this collection.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection, although they may not be ll-encompassing.
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
Related Collections and Exhibits
These collections and exhibits contain thematically-related primary and secondary sources. Browse the Collection Finder for more related material on the American Memory Web site.
- From Slavery to Freedom: The African-American Pamphlet Collection, 1824-1909
- The African American Odyssey: A Quest for Full Citizenship
- American Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940
- Voices from the Days of Slavery
Recommended additional sources of information.