With its unparalleled World War I collections, the Library of Congress is uniquely prepared to tell the story of the United States' participation in the Great War. The Library of Congress is commemorating the 100th anniversary of U.S. entry into the war with exhibitions, lectures, symposia, film programs, recordings, publications, veterans' stories, educational tools, and research guides to the Library's remarkable World War I resources.
International Perspectives on World War ITestament of Youth, Saturday, August 12 at 2:30 pm in the Mary Pickford Theater, James Madison Building. Film is free and open to the public.
Veterans History Project Launches World War I Web ExhibitThis three-part exhibit, "Experiencing War," will help tell the larger story of the war from the perspective of those who served in it.
America and the Great War: Illustrated HistoryPersonal stories, political & military battles, tragedies & epic achievements that marked U.S. involvement in the first modern war
Echoes of the Great War: American Experiences of WWIExplores how Americans experienced the upheaval of world war—at home and abroad
World War I: What Are We Fighting for Over There?A lesson plan that lets students explore the debate over going to war, using the Library's primary sources
Augustus Warfield: A Personal Account of WWITypewritten diary with photos, detailing daily life & duties of a senior officer & his regiment as they trained for overseas service
WWI Blog Posts
- April 6, 2017 World War I: Library Opens Major New Exhibit, 'Echoes of the Great War'
- June 19, 2017 Immigrant Voices of the Veterans History Project
- May 3, 2017 Mobilizing Diversity During World War I
- May 1, 2017 World War I: Footlocker's Contents Reveal Soldier's Story
Featured Collection Newspaper Pictorials: World War I Rotogravures
- George S. Patton Papers: Diaries, 1910-1945
- John J. Pershing Papers
- Newspaper Pictorials: World War I Rotogravures, 1914-1919
- World War I Posters
- Stars and Stripes: The American Soldiers' Newspaper of World War I, 1918 to 1919
- Veterans History Project
- World War I Sheet Music
- World Digital Library
- American Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I and the 1920 Election
- Chronicling America
- World War I: Declarations of War from Around the Globe
- Military Battles and Campaigns
- Patriotic Melodies