With its unparalleled World War I collections, the Library of Congress is uniquely prepared to tell the story of the United States' participation in the Great War. The Library of Congress is commemorating the 100th anniversary of U.S. entry into the war with exhibitions, lectures, symposia, film programs, recordings, publications, veterans' stories, educational tools, and research guides to the Library's remarkable World War I resources.
Docent-led Exhibition ToursGuided exhibition tours are offered Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays according to docent availability, and for groups by request.
Hillie John Franz: A Personal Account of WWIA diary kept in an unused German ledger book, capturing the chaos of the infantryman's life in wartime
World War I Primary Source SetFind selected primary sources for open-ended analysis by students, along with a teachers guide.
Veterans History Project Launches World War I Web ExhibitThis three-part exhibit, "Experiencing War," will help tell the larger story of the war from the perspective of those who served in it.
America and the Great War: Illustrated HistoryPersonal stories, political & military battles, tragedies & epic achievements that marked U.S. involvement in the first modern war
Echoes of the Great War: American Experiences of WWIExplores how Americans experienced the upheaval of world war—at home and abroad
WWI Blog Posts
- May 1, 2017 World War I: Footlocker’s Contents Reveal Soldier’s Story
- January 24, 2018 American Jazz Delights the World
- November 9, 2017 Veterans Day: Struggling to Build a New Life After War
- November 6, 2017 The Great War in Song
Featured Collection World War I Sheet Music
- George S. Patton Papers: Diaries, 1910-1945
- John J. Pershing Papers
- Newspaper Pictorials: World War I Rotogravures, 1914-1919
- World War I Posters
- Stars and Stripes: The American Soldiers' Newspaper of World War I, 1918 to 1919
- Veterans History Project
- World War I Sheet Music
- World Digital Library
- American Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I and the 1920 Election
- Chronicling America
- World War I: Declarations of War from Around the Globe
- Military Battles and Campaigns
- Patriotic Melodies