James Madison Memorial Building
In 1957, Librarian of Congress L. Quincy Mumford initiated studies for a third Library building. Congress appropriated planning funds for that structure, today's James Madison Memorial Building, in 1960, and construction was approved by an act of Congress on October 19, 1965 that authorized an appropriation of $75 million. Excavation and foundation work began in June 1971, and work on the superstructure was completed in 1976. The cornerstone, inscribed with the date 1974, was laid on March 8, 1974. Dedication ceremonies were held on April 24, 1980, and the building actually opened on May 28, 1980.
- Exterior view. The James Madison Memorial Building is the nation’s only memorial to its fourth president. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- Exterior view. Falling Books, by Frank Eliscu, a four-story relief in bronze over the main entrance. Library of Congress James Madison Building, Washington, D.C.
- Memorial Hall. Statue of James Madison by Walker K. Hancock carved in Carrara marble. Designed by Alfred Poor, the hall bears eight quotations from Madison. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- Exterior view. Main entrance. The third Library building on Capitol Hill, the Madison Building contains 2,100,000 square feet. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- Exterior view. James Madison Memorial Building was designed by DeWitt, Poor and Shelton and opened in 1980. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.