Book/Printed Material London town
About this Item
- London town
- This late Victorian book of children's poetry presents a bright and cheery view of London at the height of its imperial glory. Felix Leigh, who wrote the verses, was a prolific writer whose drawings and poems were featured for many years in the magazine Boy's Own Paper. The illustrations are by Thomas Crane and Ellen E. Houghton. Crane designed the ornamental pages and Houghton did the figure drawings. Thomas Crane was the older brother of Walter Crane (1845-1915), who brought about revolutionary improvements in illustrated children's books by ensuring that text and illustrations were designed together to produce a harmonious whole. Houghton was a first cousin of the Cranes, who are also known as early designers of Christmas cards. World Digital Library.
- Leigh, Felix.
- Crane, Thomas, 1843-1903
- Houghton, Ellen Elizabeth, 1853-1922, ill.
- Marcus Ward & Co., publisher.
Created / Published
- London ; New York : Marcus Ward & Co., .
- - Children's poetry, English
- - London (England)
- - Title-page illus. in colors.
- - Verses by Felix Leigh.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 56 p. : col. ill. ; 22 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- PZ8.3.L533 L
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
Library of Congress Children's Book Selections are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
- Credit Line - For books from the General Collections: Library of Congress
- Credit Line - For books from The Rare Book and Special Collections Division: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Leigh, Felix, Thomas Crane, Ellen Elizabeth Houghton, and Publisher Marcus Ward & Co. London Town. [London ; New York: Marcus Ward & Co, 1883] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/16007202/.
APA citation style:
Leigh, F., Crane, T., Houghton, E. E. & Marcus Ward & Co, P. (1883) London Town. [London ; New York: Marcus Ward & Co] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/16007202/.
MLA citation style:
Leigh, Felix, et al. London Town. [London ; New York: Marcus Ward & Co, 1883] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/16007202/>.