Maps Maps of East and West Florida.
About this Item
- Maps of East and West Florida.
- Contributor Names
- Romans, Bernard, 1741?-approximately 1784.
- Created / Published
- [New York, 1781]
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Southern States--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--Florida--Early works to 1800
- - Coasts--Southern States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Coasts--Florida--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Shipwrecks--Southern States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Shipwrecks--Florida--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Treasure troves--Southern States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Treasure troves--Florida--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Florida
- - United States--Southern States
- - Scale ca. 1:500,000.
- - Cover title.
- - Alternate title from Peter Force's catalog of printed maps: Florida and its vicinity.
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - "To the Marine Society of the city of New York ...; To the hon'ble, the planters in Jamaica ...; To all commanders of vessels round the globe ... "
- - Drawn in 1774, but was not published until 1781, 6 years after the author's A concise natural history of East and West Florida, to which it belongs.
- - Includes sailing directions, notes on some shipwrecks, 9 land identification profiles, "View of the entrance of St. Mary's River," and "View of Fort St. Marks, at Apalache seen from th[e so]uthward ... "
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 1622
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - AACR2
- 2 maps on 3 sheets 237 x 80 cm. or smaller fold. in cover 64 & 48 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3861.P5 s500 .R6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Louisiana: European Explorations and the Louisiana Purchase (81)
- American Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750 to 1789 (1,284)
- Military Battles and Campaigns (4,262)
- Geography and Map Division (15,078)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (532,906)
- American Memory (560,661)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Romans, Bernard, 1741?-Approximately 1784. Maps of East and West Florida. [New York, 1781] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/75692297/. (Accessed October 23, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Romans, B. (1781) Maps of East and West Florida. [New York] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/75692297/.
MLA citation style:
Romans, Bernard, 1741?-Approximately 1784. Maps of East and West Florida. [New York, 1781] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/75692297/>.