Maps [Sketch plan for landscaping the grounds of the President's House, ca. 1802-05].
About this Item
- [Sketch plan for landscaping the grounds of the President's House, ca. 1802-05].
- Contributor Names
- Latrobe, Benjamin Henry, 1764-1820.
- Mills, Robert, 1781-1855.
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - White House (Washington, D.C.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Landscape architecture--Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - Gardens--Washington (D.C.)--Design--Maps
- - Manuscript maps
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - Title from accompanying photocopied pages.
- - Drawn by different hands. Attributed variously to Benjamin Latrobe, Robert Mills, and Thomas Jefferson.
- - Pen-and-ink with lead pencil additions.
- - Soiled, wrinkled, fold-lined, and torn.
- - Accompanied by handwritten letter in ink, headed "The Library of Congress," that erroneously identifies plan as "Capitol Grounds."  sheet ; 26 x 21 cm.
- - Also accompanied by photocopied pages from book : The President's House, a history / by William Seale. Washington, D.C. : White House Historical Association, 1986.  leaves : ill., map ; 22 x 28 cm.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Phillips. Washington 81
- - Vault
- - DCP
- 1 map : ms., cloth backing ; 23 x 31 cm., on sheet 25 x 41 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3852.W46 1802 .L3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Latrobe, Benjamin Henry
District of Columbia
White House (washington, D.C.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Latrobe, Benjamin Henry, Robert Mills, and Thomas Jefferson. [Sketch plan for landscaping the grounds of the President's House, ca. 1802-05]. [?, 1802] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/88693237/. (Accessed September 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Latrobe, B. H., Mills, R. & Jefferson, T. (1802) [Sketch plan for landscaping the grounds of the President's House, ca. 1802-05]. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/88693237/.
MLA citation style:
Latrobe, Benjamin Henry, Robert Mills, and Thomas Jefferson. [Sketch plan for landscaping the grounds of the President's House, ca. 1802-05]. [?, 1802] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/88693237/>.