Film, Video Sidney Robertson Cowell & the WPA California Folk Music Project, 1938-1940
About this Item
- Sidney Robertson Cowell & the WPA California Folk Music Project, 1938-1940
- Catherine Hiebert Kerst discusses how, as a young woman of 35, Sidney Robertson proposed, organized and directed a California Work Projects Administration project designed to survey musical traditions from a wide range of English-speaking and immigrant communities in Northern California. Her efforts generated the WPA California Folk Music Project (1938-1940), a remarkable multi-format ethnographic field collection (with recordings, photographs, sketches and drawings of the musical instruments, and field notes) that captured a unique cross-section of the music that people of many backgrounds were performing at the time.
- Event Date
- May 09, 2017
- - Catherine Hiebert Kerst recently retired from the American Folklife Center in the Library of Congress, where she served as a folklife specialist.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 2 minutes 10 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sidney Robertson Cowell & the WPA California Folk Music Project, -1940. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7963/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Sidney Robertson Cowell & the WPA California Folk Music Project, -1940. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7963/.
MLA citation style:
Sidney Robertson Cowell & the WPA California Folk Music Project, -1940. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-7963/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Nico Muhly & Daniel Hope
- Contributor: Kahane, Jeffrey - Hope, Daniel - Muhly, Nico
- Date: 2012-10-12
Film, VideoRosanne Cash Celebrates Songs of America
- Contributor: Cash, Rosanne
- Date: 2014-02-03
Film, VideoWhat the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109
- Contributor: Hwang, Shin - Bilson, Malcolm - Meredith, William
- Date: 2011-09-10
Film, VideoMichael Feinstein Celebrates Songs of America
- Contributor: Feinstein, Michael
- Date: 2014-02-03
Film, VideoMeaning & Myth in Louise Talma's First Period Works
- Contributor: Leonard, Kendra Preston
- Date: 2013-09-24