Film, Video 2017 Asian American Literary Festival
About this Item
- 2017 Asian American Literary Festival
- The Library of Congress hosted the concluding day of the groundbreaking Asian American Literature Festival. The day featured a lecture and reading by writer and American Book Award winner Karen Tei Yamashita titled, "Literature as Community: the Turtle, Imagination, and the Journey Home." The afternoon session included a lecture by poet Kimiko Hahn on "Angel Island: The Roots and Branches of Asian-American Poetry," and closed with a poetry reading.
- Event Date
- July 29, 2017
- - Karen Tei Yamashita is the author of several books, including "I Hotel," "Anime Wong" and "Letters to Memory." "I Hotel" was selected as a finalist for the National Book Award and awarded the California Book Award, the American Book Award, the Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature and the Association for Asian American Studies Book Award. A U.S. Artists Ford Foundation Fellow and co-holder of the University of California Presidential Chair in feminist critical race and ethnic studies, Yamashita is a professor of literature and creative writing at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- - Kimiko Hahn is the author of nine books of poems, including "Earshot," which was awarded the Theodore Roethke Memorial Poetry Prize and an Association of Asian American Studies Literature Award, "The Unbearable Heart," which received an American Book Award and most recently, "Brain Fever." Her other honors include a PEN/Voelcker Award for poetry, a Shelley Memorial Award, a Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Writers' Award and fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts. She is a distinguished professor in the Master's of Fine Arts program in creative writing and literary translation at Queens College, City University of New York.
- Related Resources
- Poetry & Literature at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/poetry/
- Running Time
- 3 hours, 10 minutes, 33 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Asian American Literary Festival. 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8281/.
APA citation style:
(2017) Asian American Literary Festival. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8281/.
MLA citation style:
Asian American Literary Festival. 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-8281/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoKimiko Hahn: 2011 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Hahn, Kimiko
- Date: 2011-09-24
Film, VideoThere Are No Fears
- Contributor: Yevtushenko, Yevgeny
- Date: 2004-04-29
Film, VideoPoet Laureate Billy Collins
- Contributor: Collins, Billy
- Date: 2001-12-06
Film, VideoA Literary Evening with John Prine and Ted Kooser
- Contributor: Kooser, Ted - Prine, John
- Date: 2005-03-09
Film, VideoDaniel Mark Epstein on Walt Whitman's "The Death of Lincoln"
- Contributor: Epstein, Daniel Mark
- Date: 2005-04-14