Film, Video Panorama of Blackwell's Island, N.Y.
About this Item
- Panorama of Blackwell's Island, N.Y.
- This film was photographed from a boat heading south along the eastern shore of Blackwell's Island (known today as Roosevelt Island). The island lies in the East River, between Manhattan (which can be seen in the background) and Long Island City, Queens. It is approximately one and three-quarters of a mile long, extending from 51st Street to 88th, and at the time of the filming was the location for a number of New York City's charitable and penal institutions. The film opens showing the lighthouse at the north end of the island (Hallet's Cove) [Frame: 0186]. As the boat enters the east channel of the river, the stacks of a large brewery on Manhattan are visible in the distance . The camera pans along the island's granite seawall (built by inmates of the Penitentiary and Workhouse) and the following buildings, in order of appearance, are shown: the New York City Lunatic Asylum ; the Workhouse ; the Almshouse ; piers for the Queensborough (or 59th Street) Bridge, which upon completion in 1908 will span 135 feet above the island ; the Almshouse keeper's house (originally the home of the Blackwell family, who had once owned the island) ; the Penitentiary ; Charity Hospital . The film ends before reaching the southern tip of the island.
- Porter, Edwin S., camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1903.
- - Roosevelt Island (New York, N.Y.)
- - Islands--New York (State)--East River
- - Roosevelt Island Light (New York, N.Y.)
- - N.Y. City Lunatic Asylum
- - Workhouses--New York (State)--New York
- - Almshouses--New York (State)--New York
- - Queensboro Bridge (New York, N.Y.)
- - Blackwell House (New York, N.Y.)
- - Blackwell's Island Penitentiary (New York, N.Y.)
- - Charity Hospital (New York, N.Y.)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H32034 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20May1903; H32034.
- - Duration: 2:23 at 15 fps.
- - Camera, Edwin S. Porter.
- - Footage for 16 mm. viewing print and dupe neg pic from document titled, "Major footage count incorrectly printed in Early motion pictures catalog" in M/B/RS Paper Print Collection acquisition file.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2121) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Photographed May 9, 1903. Location: East River, New York.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Source used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 237.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 5367 to FZA 2328.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (62 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (62 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll (ca. 150 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5135 (viewing print)
- FEB 9436 (viewing print)
- FRA 2087 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2328 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0494A (paper pos)
- Box 5553B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- The Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898 to 1906 (54)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- National Screening Room (572)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,505)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,367,476)
- Actualities (Motion Pictures)
- Blackwell House (New York, N.Y.)
- Blackwell's Island Penitentiary (New York, N.Y.)
- Charity Hospital (New York, N.Y.)
- East River
- N.Y. City Lunatic Asylum
- New York
- New York (State)
- Nonfiction Films
- Queensboro Bridge (New York, N.Y.)
- Roosevelt Island (New York, N.Y.)
- Roosevelt Island Light (New York, N.Y.)
- Short Films
- Silent Films
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Panorama of Blackwell's Island, N.Y. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694366/.
APA citation style:
Porter, E. S., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Panorama of Blackwell's Island, N.Y. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694366/.
MLA citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Panorama of Blackwell's Island, N.Y. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694366/>.