Photo, Print, Drawing Snapshot from an Airplane: The Harbor of Copenhagen. Snapshot fra et Aeroplan: Holmen og Havnen
About this Item
- Snapshot from an Airplane: The Harbor of Copenhagen.
- Snapshot fra et Aeroplan: Holmen og Havnen
- This view of Copenhagen harbor is the earliest known Danish aerial photograph. The picture was taken by Holger Damgaard (1870--1945), the first full-time press photographer in Denmark. Damgaard worked for the Danish newspaper Politiken from 1908 until 1940, where he documented a wide variety of events, places, and persons. Aerial photography goes back to the 1850s, when the first photographs were taken from balloons. The first photograph taken from an airplane was made in 1909, when the American aviation pioneer Wilbur Wright flew over Rome, carrying a passenger who shot a three-minute film of the city below. This photograph was made just a few years later, in 1913.
- Damgaard, Holger, 1870--1945 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1913.
- - Denmark--Copenhagen
- - 1913
- - Aerial photographs
- - Cities and towns
- - Harbors
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph ; 20.6 x 31.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Royal Library (The), Denmark.
- - Content in Danish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Damgaard, Holger, 1870. Snapshot from an Airplane: The Harbor of Copenhagen. Denmark Copenhagen, 1913. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670537/.
APA citation style:
Damgaard, H. (1913) Snapshot from an Airplane: The Harbor of Copenhagen. Denmark Copenhagen, 1913. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670537/.
MLA citation style:
Damgaard, Holger, 1870. Snapshot from an Airplane: The Harbor of Copenhagen. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670537/>.