Book/Printed Material Fables choisies pour les enfants et illustrées par B. de Monvel
About this Item
- Fables choisies pour les enfants et illustrées par B. de Monvel
- The French poet Jean de La Fontaine (1621-95) is best known for his 243 Fables, which he wrote over a 26-year period between 1668 and 1694. Patterned after Aesop's Fables, La Fontaine's tales involve a familiar cast of rabbits, grasshoppers, ants, foxes, and other animals. Written in verse, the Fables have been read by successive generations of French children, but also have been appreciated by adult readers for their satirical commentary on human nature. This copy of a late-19th century children's edition belonged to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes. It contains illustrated versions of 26 of the Fables, including the universally known "The Tortoise and the Hare" and "The Fox and the Grapes." Louis-Maurice Boutet de Monvel (1851-1903) was a French painter and children's book illustrator. His best-known works include a series of paintings on the life of Joan of Arc, now in the collections of the Corcoran Gallery in Washington, DC. World Digital Library.
- La Fontaine, Jean de, 1621-1695.
- Boutet de Monvel, Louis Maurice, 1850-1913.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- Paris : Plon-Nourrit & Cie, imprimeurs-éditeurs, .
- - Fables, French--Juvenile literature
- Juvenile literature--1888
- - LC copy may be a printing of later date. Printer's imprint on p. 4 includes the number 18523.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC tnb 2020-09-10 no edits (3 cards)
- - Publication date from Lorenz
- 48 p. : col. ill. ; 23 x 27 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- PZ24.2 .L26 1888
- PZ24.2 .L26 1888 Copy 2 Imprint on p. 4 includes the number 1371. Cover wanting. Formerly identified as: 4PZ Fr-2
- PZ24.2 .L26 1888 Copy 3 Imprint on cover: E. Plon-Nourrit & Cie éditeurs, rue Garancière 10 a Paris. Printer's imprint on p. 4 does not include additional numbers. From the library of Oliver Wendell Holmes.
- PZ24.2 .L26 1888b Copy 2 Imprint on cover: Librairie Plon, rue Garancière 8 a Paris. Gift of Edith G. Rosenwald, Jan. 23, 1989.
- PZ24.2 .L26 1888b Another issue. Without imprint on t.p. or printer statement, etc., on p. 4. Imprint on cover: Librairie Plon, rue Garancière 10 a Paris. Gift of Mrs. Jefferson Patterson, Feb. 12, 1980.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
La Fontaine, Jean De, Louis Maurice Boutet De Monvel, Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection, and Oliver Wendell Holmes Collection. Fables choisies pour les enfants et illustrées par B. de Monvel. [Paris: Plon-Nourrit & Cie, imprimeurs-éditeurs, 1888] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/90180074/.
APA citation style:
La Fontaine, J. D., Boutet De Monvel, L. M., Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection & Oliver Wendell Holmes Collection. (1888) Fables choisies pour les enfants et illustrées par B. de Monvel. [Paris: Plon-Nourrit & Cie, imprimeurs-éditeurs] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/90180074/.
MLA citation style:
La Fontaine, Jean De, et al. Fables choisies pour les enfants et illustrées par B. de Monvel. [Paris: Plon-Nourrit & Cie, imprimeurs-éditeurs, 1888] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/90180074/>.