Film, Video Trapeze disrobing act
About this Item
- Trapeze disrobing act
- Camera is positioned as if in the audience at a vaudeville or burlesque show. Two men with long hair and beards in rough clothing appear to be eating and talking in a box on the left as a female aerialist sits on a trapeze over the stage and its painted backdrop of trees. Fully dressed in street clothing, the trapezist removes her jacket and hat before performing a flip. She stands to remove her skirt and then sits back down on the bar as she takes off her corset and throws it to the country bumpkins in the box, who fight over the undergarment. The trapezist continues to disrobe, removing her shoes, stockings, and garters, again throwing the latter to the men, and then seemingly hangs upside down (with her feet anchored off-camera) as she slips off her petticoat. Thus clad only in tights, trunks, and a camisole, the woman performs her trapeze act to the increasingly excited men.
- From Edison films catalog: The scene is on the stage of a vaudeville theatre. A lady dressed in evening costume is performing on a trapeze. Two Rubes are seated in a box in the theatre. The lady begins to disrobe and here the fun commences. As she removes her garments one by one and throws them at our rural friends, they begin going through antics, which to say the least, are highly amusing. When the stockings come off, the climax takes place. The Rubes jump from their seats and make things lively for a short time in the theatre. Class A 100 ft. $15.00.
- Contributor Names
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- AFI/Holt (H. L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- Subject Headings
- - Burlesque (Theater)--United States--Drama
- - Aerialists--United States--Drama
- - Striptease--United States--Drama
- - Stripteasers--United States--Drama
- - Theater audiences--United States--Drama
- - Rural population--United States--Drama
- - Silent films
- Rural comedies
- - H10634 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 11Nov1901; H10634.
- - Original main title lacking; viewing copy and 35 mm. open with patent and copyright notices.
- - Duration: 2:18 at 14 fps.
- - Viewing copy, ref print, and dupe neg originate from a nitrate positive; for other holdings on this title, including those originating from paper print LC 1903, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - According to author Irving Zeidman, a popular stunt in female minstrel shows--a precursor to burlesque--"was swinging out over the heads of the audience in trapezes and swings in midair, sometimes undressing in the process" (American burlesque show, 1967, p. 29).
- - Catalog no. 5309; code name (for telegraphic orders) Unhelmed.
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov)
- - NCN012563; Trapeze disrobing act.
- - NCN046353; Trapeze disrobing act.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 135, Sept. 1902, p. 82; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Allen, R. Horrible prettiness, 1991, p. 267-269.
- - Received: 8/4/87 from LC video lab; viewing copy; preservation; AFI/Holt (H. L.) Collection.
- - Received: 11/25/86 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; AFI/Holt (H. L.) Collection.
- - Received: 10/16/86 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; AFI/Holt (H. L.) Collection.
- - Received: 11/11/01; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 videocassette of 1 (ca. 1 min.) : si., b&w ; 3/4 in. viewing copy.
- 1 reel of 1 (121 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (121 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (ca. 96 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- VBF 6615 (viewing copy)
- FEB 7540 (ref print)
- FPE 2310 (dupe neg)
- LC 1903 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAfi/Holt (H. L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
Afi/Holt (H.L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, Afi/Holt, and Paper Print Collection. Trapeze Disrobing Act. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96514756/. (Accessed January 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I., Afi/Holt & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Trapeze Disrobing Act. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96514756/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, Afi/Holt, and Paper Print Collection. Trapeze Disrobing Act. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/96514756/>.