Film, Video Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba
Digital viewing copy
About this Item
- Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba
- "Dotting the horizon on the right of the picture is the great fleet of transports, while scattered all along the beach and piled high to the left are hundreds upon hundreds of ammunition cases. Soldier boys in the foreground are packing the boxes on the patient army mules. An officer stands by bossing the job. Two boxes are tied on each mule"--The Phonoscope, October 1898.
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., c1898.
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - Mules--Cuba
- - Pack animals (Transportation)--Cuba
- - United States.--Army--Transportation--Equipment and supplies
- - Ammunition containers--Cuba
- - Soldiers--Cuba
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 46692 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 5Aug1898; 46692.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Date is copyright and production date; unable to verify if work was ever actually released.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:34 at 22 fps.
- - Filmed in Daiquirí, Cuba, probably between June 22-26, 1898
- - Summary originally from The Phonoscope, October 1898, p. 15, found in Edison motion pictures 1890-1900.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1357) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 452; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 235-236; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 774.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - paper pos (copy 2) Received: 1898-08-05; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4371 (viewing print)
- FRA 1510 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0608 (master pos pic)
- Box 0161K (paper pos)
- Box 5007 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Paley, William Daly, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/98501059/.
APA citation style:
Paley, W. D., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98501059/.
MLA citation style:
Paley, William Daly, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Packing ammunition on mules, Cuba. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98501059/>.