Film, Video The Roosevelt Dam 
About this Item
- The Roosevelt Dam 
- Film depicts TR's commitment to the reclamation of desert land and his belief that natural resources exist for the public benefit. Included are close-up views of Frederick H. Newell, first director of the U.S. Reclamation Service and Gifford Pinchot, first chief forester and leader of the conservation movement in the U.S.; both influenced TR's thinking and action on conservation. TR fought successfully for the passage of the Reclamation Act of 1902, which authorized the creation of the reclamation service. In 1906 work on the Roosevelt Dam on the Salt River in Arizona began and was completed in 1911. Film consists of views of desert area, including many varieties of cactus; construction of the dam; the completed dam, hydroelectric plant, reservoir, and irrigation system. Scenes of fields and orchards, sheep and cattle grazing, men clearing, plowing, and harvesting fields with various types of farm equipment, and scenes of crops of wheat, alfalfa, and melons, all represent the benefits brought to the Salt River Valley area by the availability of water.
- At the formal dedication of the dam on Mar. 18, 1911, TR presses an electric switch opening sluice gates; TR speaks and shakes hands with Indian workers. Behind him on the platform are, left to right: a woman who may be Edith Roosevelt; a bald man who is probably Louis C. Hill, supervising engineer of the project; an unidentified man; Benjamin A. Fowler, president of the National Irrigation Congress; another unidentified man; Richard E. Sloan, territorial Governor of Arizona; and a man who is probably John P. Orme, president of the Salt River Valley Water Users' Association.
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Newell, Frederick Haynes, 1862-1932.
- Pinchot, Gifford, 1865-1946.
- Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow, 1861-1948.
- Hill, Louis C. (Louis Clarence), 1865-1938.
- Fowler, Benjamin A.
- Sloan, Richard E., 1857-
- Orme, John P.
- United States. Bureau of Reclamation.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, [1928?].
- Subject Headings
- - Reclamation of land--Arizona
- - Dams--Arizona--Design and construction
- - Hydroelectric power plants--Arizona
- - Reservoirs--Arizona
- - Irrigation--Arizona
- - Irrigation farming--Arizona
- - Dedication services
- - Indians of North America--Employment--Arizona
- - Public lands--United States
- - Governors--Arizona
- - Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- - Salt River (Gila County and Maricopa County, Ariz.)
- - Salt River Valley (Gila County and Maricopa County, Ariz.)
- - Theodore Roosevelt Dam (Ariz.)
- Short films
- Documentary films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Editor, Caroline Gentry.
- - Appearing: President Roosevelt, Frederick H. Newell, Gifford Pinchot, Edith Roosevelt, Louis C. Hill, Benjamin A. Fowler, Richard E. Sloan, John P. Orme.
- - Duration: 4:58 (part 1), 4:12 (part 2), 4:55 (part 3) at 18 fps.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association numbers: RMA 310-01 ; RMA 325-04 (?).
- - MAVIS 1203963; The Roosevelt Dam .
- - Sources used: Roosevelt Memorial Association. The Roosevelt Dam (script); Roosevelt Memorial Association. Annual report. 1928:16; Harbaugh, William H. The life and times of Theodore Roosevelt. 1963:304-319; Sloan, Richard E., ed. History of Arizona. v. 2, 1930:316-322; Arizona republican, Phoenix. 3/18/11:1-2; 3/19/11:sec. 1:1; 3/19/11:sec. 2:4-6; P&P portrait file; Portrait and biographical record of Arizona. 1901:
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association. Viewing print (FEA 8949) and dupe neg (FPB 9906) have additional RMA material at beginning and end of film.
- - viewing print, dupe neg; Received: June 1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (949 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (950 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (949 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (950 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 8949 (viewing print)
- FEA 8950 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FPB 9906 (dupe neg)
- FPB 9907 (dupe neg, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsFowler, Benjamin A.
Hill, Louis C. (Louis Clarence)
Newell, Frederick Haynes
Orme, John P.
Roosevelt Memorial Association
Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library
Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow
Sloan, Richard E.
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
United States. Bureau of Reclamation
Salt River Valley
Theodore Roosevelt Dam
Design and Construction
Hydroelectric Power Plants
Indians of North America
Reclamation of Land
Salt River (Ariz.)
Salt River (Gila County and Maricopa County, Ariz.)
Salt River Valley (Ariz.)
Salt River Valley (Gila County and Maricopa County, Ariz.)
Speeches, Addresses, Etc., American
Theodore Roosevelt Dam (Ariz.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Frederick Haynes Newell, Gifford Pinchot, Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt, Louis C Hill, Benjamin A Fowler, Richard E Sloan, et al. [The Roosevelt Dam 1]. [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, ?, 1928] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000354/. (Accessed January 19, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Newell, F. H., Pinchot, G., Roosevelt, E. K. C., Hill, L. C., Fowler, B. A. [...] Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1928) [The Roosevelt Dam 1]. [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000354/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. [The Roosevelt Dam 1]. [United States: Roosevelt Memorial Association Film Library, ?, 1928] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000354/>.