Column 19: Plea for Deliverance (A Noncanonical Psalm)
- Surely a maggot cannot praise thee nor a grave worm recount thy loving-kindness.
- But the living can praise thee, even those who stumble can laud thee. In revealing
- thy kindness to them and by thy righteousness thou dost enlighten them. For in thy hand is the soul of every
- living thing; the breath of all flesh hast thou given. Deal with us, O LORD,
- according to thy goodness, according to thy great mercy, and according to thy many righteous deeds. The LORD
- has heeded the voice of those who love his name and has not deprived them of his loving-kindness.
- Blessed be the LORD, who executes righteous deeds, crowning his saints
- with loving-kindness and mercy. My soul cries out to praise thy name, to sing high praises
- for thy loving deeds, to proclaim thy faithfulness--of praise of thee there is no end. Near death
- was I for my sins, and my iniquities have sold me to the grave; but thou didst save me,
- O LORD, according to thy great mercy, and according to thy many righteous deeds. Indeed have I
- loved thy name, and in thy protection have I found refuge. When I remember thy might my heart
- is brave, and upon thy mercies do I lean. Forgive my sin, O LORD,
- and purify me from my iniquity. Vouchsafe me a spirit of faith and knowledge, and let me not be dishonored
- in ruin. Let not Satan rule over me, nor an unclean spirit; neither let pain nor the evil
- inclination take possession of my bones. For thou, O LORD, art my praise, and in thee do I hope
- all the day. Let my brothers rejoice with me and the house of my father, who are astonished by the graciousness…
- [ ] For e[ver] I will rejoice in thee.
Transcription and translation by J. A. Sanders