Film, Video President Harding and Calvin Coolidge  /
About this Item
- President Harding and Calvin Coolidge  /
- Various scenes of the official notification ceremonies held on July 22, 1920 for Warren G. Harding, selected as the Presidential candidate by 17th Republican National Convention and Calvin Coolidge, selected as the Vice Presidential nominee. Opening views of Harding, followed by scenes of him and his wife, Florence Kling Harding, in Marion, Ohio; Harding, Coolidge, and Will H. Hays, Republican National Committee chairman, getting out of auto with other members of Republican Party; several scenes from varying distances of Harding and wife greeting large crowds, Harding delivering a speech from his porch, and standing in a formal receiving line shaking hands; close shot of man, identified by interior title as Harding's father, George T. Harding; views of Hays opening the official ceremony, with Henry Cabot Lodge and other members of Notification Committee visible on speakers' platform. Sequences of Coolidge's notification ceremony held in Northampton, Mass.; views of Coolidge delivering his acceptance speech; views of Edwin P. Morrow, Governor of Kentucky, incorrectly identified by interior title as Edward, delivering the formal notification speech; medium shot of Coolidge and Lodge, surrounded by crowd; several sequences of Coolidge seated at his desk in Boston and performing duties in the rural setting of his home in Plymouth, Vt. Final scene of Harding, Coolidge, and Hays conversing outside the old Senate Office Building in Washington, with the Capitol visible in the background on June 30.
- Contributor Names
- Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923.
- Coolidge, Calvin, 1872-1933.
- Harding, Florence Kling, 1860-1924.
- Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison), 1879-1954.
- Harding, George T.
- Lodge, Henry Cabot, 1850-1924.
- Morrow, Edwin P., 1878-1935.
- Republican National Convention.
- Community Motion Picture Service, inc.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n.], 1920.
- Subject Headings
- - Political parties
- - Governors--Kentucky
- - Governors--Massachusetts
- - Presidents--United States--Nomination
- - Presidents--United States--Election--1920
- - United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
- - United States--Politics and government--1919-1933
- - Marion (Ohio)
- - Northampton (Mass.)
- - Plymouth (Vt.)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Documentary films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Appearing: Warren G. Harding, Florence Kling Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Will H. Hays, George T. Harding, Henry Cabot Lodge, Edwin P. Morrow.
- - Duration: 3:59 (part 1), 4:01 (part 2), 2:15 (part 3) at 16 fps.
- - MAVIS 1632887; President Harding and Calvin Coolidge .
- - Donor's inventory number: RMA 304-4.
- - Sources used: Republican Party. National Convention, 17th, Chicago, 1920. Official report of the proceedings of the seventeenth Republican National Convention. 1920:254-282; P&P presidential file; P&P portrait file.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association. RMA purchased from Community. Parts of images missing due to sound aperture reduction, mild nitrate deterioration.
- - viewing print, dupe neg; Received: May 1968 from USDA lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from Community; parts of images missing due to sound aperture reduction, mild nitrate deterioration; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 10 min., 248 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 10 min., 248 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0716 (viewing print)
- FRA 5778 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Library of Congress Catalog Number Record
- Online Public Access Catalog Record
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsCommunity Motion Picture Service, Inc
Harding, Florence Kling
Harding, George T.
Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel)
Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison)
Lodge, Henry Cabot
Morrow, Edwin P.
Republican National Convention
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
Politics and Government
United States Capitol (Washington, D.C.)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: firstname.lastname@example.org):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Harding, Warren G, Calvin Coolidge, Florence Kling Harding, Will H Hays, George T Harding, Henry Cabot Lodge, Edwin P Morrow, Republican National Convention, Inc Community Motion Picture Service, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. [President Harding and Calvin Coolidge 1]. [United States: s.n, 1920] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000342. (Accessed February 13, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Harding, W. G., Coolidge, C., Harding, F. K., Hays, W. H., Harding, G. T., Lodge, H. C. [...] Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1920) [President Harding and Calvin Coolidge 1]. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000342.
MLA citation style:
Harding, Warren G, et al. [President Harding and Calvin Coolidge 1]. [United States: s.n, 1920] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000342>.