Maps Selected Civil War maps : reproduced from originals made by the U.S. Coast Survey, 1861-65 Civil War maps
About this Item
- Selected Civil War maps : reproduced from originals made by the U.S. Coast Survey, 1861-65
- Other Title
- Civil War maps
- Contributor Names
- U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey.
- Created / Published
- [Washington : Coast and Geodetic Survey, 1961]
- Plate 1. Map index and historical sketches -- [Plate 2] Manassas Junction and vicinity, April 1862 -- [Plate 3] Charleston Harbor, 1865 -- [Plate 4] South Carolina-Georgia coast and sketches of forts 1861-62 -- [Plate 5] Military map of southeast Virginia 1864 -- [Plate 6] City of Richmond, 1864 -- [Plate 7] Reconnaissance of Mississippi River 1862 -- [Plate 8] Fort Jackson, 1862 -- [Plate 9] Fort Hindman, Arkansas, 1863 -- [Plate 10] Approaches to Vicksburg, 1863 -- [Plate 11] Approach to Grand Gulf, 1864 -- [Plate 12] Position of gun boats at Grend Gulf, 1863 -- [Plate 13] Battle ground of Sabine Cross Roads and Pleasant Hill, 1864 -- [Plate 14] Chattanooga and its approaches -- [Plate 15] Battle field of Chickamauga -- [Plate 16] To Atlanta: Map showing the operations of the national forces under the command of Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman during the campaign resulting in the capture of Atlanta, Georgia, Sept. 1, 1864 -- [Plate 17] Plan of final attack on Fort Fisher and adjoining Rebel works, made January 15th 1865 -- [Plate 18] Sketches-(a) Position of iron clads, Fort Fisher, January 15, 1865 and (b) Final attach on Fort Fisher, January 15, 1865 -- [Plate 19] Reconnaissance of Wilmington River and St. Augustine Creek from Wausau [i.e. Wassaw] Sound to Savannah River, Georgia -- [Plate 20] Northern part of Florida (Olustee [Ocean Pond] and raids on Jacksonville).
- Subject Headings
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--History, Military--Maps
- - Battles--United States--Maps
- - United States
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - At head of title: U.S. Department of Commerce, Luther H. Hodges, Secretary. Coast and Geodetic Survey, Rear Admiral H. Arnold Karo, Director.
- - Plate 1, Map index and historical sketches has an explanation of numbered folio maps on verso.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 94.5
- - LeGear. Atlases of the United States, 10679
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 atlas ( leaves of plates) : maps (chiefly) ; 79 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G1201.S5 U55 1961
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
U.S. Coast And Geodetic Survey. Selected Civil War maps: reproduced from originals made by the U.S. Coast Survey, 1861-65. [Washington: Coast and Geodetic Survey, 1961] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/map62000068/. (Accessed February 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
U.S. Coast And Geodetic Survey. (1961) Selected Civil War maps: reproduced from originals made by the U.S. Coast Survey, 1861-65. [Washington: Coast and Geodetic Survey] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/map62000068/.
MLA citation style:
U.S. Coast And Geodetic Survey. Selected Civil War maps: reproduced from originals made by the U.S. Coast Survey, 1861-65. [Washington: Coast and Geodetic Survey, 1961] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/map62000068/>.