Film, Video TR's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919 Theodore Roosevelt's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919
About this Item
- TR's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919
- Views of Christ Episcopal Church, the funeral procession, and Youngs Memorial Cemetery during the funeral of Theodore Roosevelt on January 8, 1919, in Oyster Bay, N.Y. Medium close shot of specially delegated New York City mounted police guards, followed by hearse, passing on road in front of church; long shot at church entrance of flag-draped casket being placed in hearse, with line of funeral procession autos parked behind, and crowds on church lawn; closer shot from different angle of casket as it is borne through church entrance to hearse, with flag-bearer following behind, and Rev. George E. Talmadge, pastor of Christ Episcopal Church and reader at the simple service, visible in street beside hearse; long shot in cemetery of casket being shouldered and carried up steep pathway to grave site, preceded by Rev. Talmadge and followed by TR's son, Archie Roosevelt, in uniform, and other family members; close shot at what appears to be train station of the following men in attendance at the funeral: General Peyton C. March, Army Chief of Staff; Vice-President Thomas R. Marshall (1913-1921), official representative of the U.S. Government at the funeral; and Rear Admiral Cameron M. Winslow; close shots in crowd at cemetery of TR's friend, Major-General Leonard Wood; and Oscar S. Straus, Secretary of Commerce and Labor in TR's Cabinet (1906-1909).
- Contributor Names
- Talmadge, George E.
- Roosevelt, Archibald B. (Archibald Bulloch), 1894-1979.
- March, Peyton Conway, 1864-1955.
- Marshall, Thomas R. (Thomas Riley), 1854-1925.
- Winslow, Cameron McRae, 1854-1932.
- Wood, Leonard, 1860-1927.
- Straus, Oscar S. (Oscar Solomon), 1850-1926.
- Universal Film Manufacturing Company.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Universal Film Manufacturing Co., 1919.
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Death and burial
- - Funeral rites and ceremonies--New York (State)--Oyster Bay
- - Church buildings--New York (State)--Oyster Bay
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Appearing: Rev. George E. Talmadge, Archie Roosevelt, Gen. Peyton C. March, Vice-President Thomas R. Marshall, Rear Admiral Cameron M. Winslow, Major-Gen. Leonard Wood, Oscar S. Straus.
- - Originally part of the newsreel series, Universal current events, according to the Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection catalog, p. 153.
- - Duration: 2:05 at 16 fps.
- - Sources used: Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division portrait and stereo files.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: May 1968 from USDA lab; viewing print (copy 1) and dup neg pic; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1968-05-01 from Bono film lab; viewing print (copy 2); preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- - Received: 1967; transferred to LC from NPS, NPS acquired from RMA, RMA purchased from International Newsreel Company; flash titles; transferred to safety from LC nitrate at USDA lab: May 1968.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si. b&w ; 16mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si. b&w ; 16mm. viewing print (copy 2)
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si. b&w ; 16mm. dupe neg pic.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0999 (viewing print)
- FAB 7635 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 5982 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recording Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsMarch, Peyton Conway
Marshall, Thomas R. (Thomas Riley)
Roosevelt, Archibald (Archibald Bulloch)
Straus, Oscar S. (Oscar Solomon)
Talmadge, George E.
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
Universal Film Manufacturing Company
Winslow, Cameron McRae
Death and Burial
Funeral Rites and Ceremonies
New York (State)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Talmadge, George E, Archibald B Roosevelt, Peyton Conway March, Thomas R Marshall, Cameron Mcrae Winslow, Leonard Wood, Oscar S Straus, Universal Film Manufacturing Company, and Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. TR's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919. United States: Universal Film Manufacturing Co, 1919. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000176/. (Accessed February 27, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Talmadge, G. E., Roosevelt, A. B., March, P. C., Marshall, T. R., Winslow, C. M., Wood, L. [...] Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1919) TR's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919. United States: Universal Film Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000176/.
MLA citation style:
Talmadge, George E, et al. TR's funeral at Oyster Bay, 1919. United States: Universal Film Manufacturing Co, 1919. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000176/>.