Film, Video Panama Canal--scenes of the finished Canal
About this Item
- Panama Canal--scenes of the finished Canal
- Scenes of the Panama Canal, generally in the natural order of passage, from a ship moving from the Atlantic to the Pacific. The ship passes by the Panamanian city of Colón on the Atlantic end, through the channel to Gatun Locks and into Gatun Lake, views of the Gatun spillway and the Chagres River. From here she passes from Gaillard Cut (Culebra Cut), into the Pedro Miguel Locks and into Miraflores Lake. Then through the Miraflores Locks and into the final portion of the canal, passing the Canal Zone towns of Ancon, Balboa, and Balboa Heights. Final views are of the Ancon Hospital (Gorgas Hospital) and the U.S. Administration Building at Balboa.
- Contributor Names
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [s.n., 1919?].
- Subject Headings
- - Canals, Interoceanic--Panama
- - Ships
- - Locks (Hydraulic engineering)
- - Spillways
- - Public buildings, American
- - Panama Canal (Panama)
- - Panama Canal (Panama)--Navigation
- - Gatun Lake (Panama)
- - Chagres River (Panama)
- - Miraflores Lake (Panama)
- Documentary films
- Short films
- Silent films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 4:03 (part 1), 4:00 (part 2), 3:56 (part 3), 4:07 (part 4), 0:52 (part 5) at 14 fps.
- - Sources used: Abbot, Willis J. Panama and the canal, 1913; Avery, Ralph E. America's triumph at Panama, 1913.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association. Gift to RMA from Samuel Lewis. Edge code date on nitrate is 1919. Flash titles are very dark.
- - Received: 5/1968 from USDA lab; viewing print, non-viewing pos pic; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (358 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (358 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. non-viewing pos pic.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 1115 (viewing print)
- FRA 6058 (non-viewing pos pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: email@example.com):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. Panama Canal--scenes of the finished Canal. [United States: s.n., ?, 1919] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000322/.
APA citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1919) Panama Canal--scenes of the finished Canal. [United States: s.n., ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000322/.
MLA citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. Panama Canal--scenes of the finished Canal. [United States: s.n., ?, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000322/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoWilliam H. Taft in Panama.
William Howard Taft in Panama On one of many visits to Panama, William Howard Taft inspects canal construction and visits ruins in what may be the Panamanian jungle. Views of crowd of men and women on dock,...
- Contributor: Goethals, George W. (George Washington) - Taft, Helen Herron - Pezet, Federico Alfonso - Taft, William H. (William Howard) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1910
Film, VideoThe story of the Panama Canal 
Panama Canal Compilation film revealing the story of the Panama Canal construction, which TR considered one of his most valuable contributions to foreign affairs. Most prominent views are of the need for building the...
- Contributor: Gorgas, William Crawford - Wilson, James - McKinley, William - Coolidge, Calvin - Amador Guerrero, Manuel - Smith, Charles Emory - Goethals, George W. (George Washington) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Day, William R. (William Rufus) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) ... Gorgas, William Crawford - Wilson, James - McKinley, William - Coolidge, Calvin - Amador Guerrero, Manuel - Smith, Charles Emory - Goethals, George W. (George Washington) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Day, William R. (William Rufus) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Hitchcock, Ethan Allen - Root, Elihu - Knox, Philander C. (Philander Chase) - Gage, Lyman J. (Lyman Judson) - Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library - Roosevelt, Theodore
- Date: 1927
Film, VideoScenes of TR at Sagamore Hill, 1912
Scenes of Theodore Roosevelt at Sagamore Hill, 1912 First film footage taken of TR at Sagamore Hill, summer of 1912. TR on his horse Sidar shakes hands with William P. Helm, Associated Press correspondent for New York City and Washington...
- Contributor: Helm, William P. (William Pickett) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Pathé Frères (France) - Roosevelt, Theodore - Roosevelt, Archibald (Archibald Bulloch) - Associated Press
- Date: 1912
Film, VideoOscar Straus Close shot of Oscar S. Straus, author, United States ambassador, member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague for six three-year terms beginning in 1902, and Secretary of Commerce and...
- Contributor: Straus, Oscar S. (Oscar Solomon) - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 191?
Film, VideoShall we prepare?
TR speaking at Sagamore | TR in Metropolitan Magazine office, 1916 | Theodore Roosevelt speaking at Sagamore | Theodore Roosevelt in Metropolitan Magazine office, 1916 Two sequences of TR: Sequence 1: views of TR walking onto the porch of Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, N.Y., facing the camera, and then speaking on military preparedness during WWI; Sequence 2:...
- Contributor: Hovey, Carl - Bray Studios - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Paramount Pictures Corporation
- Date: 1916