Film, Video The River of Doubt 
About this Item
- The River of Doubt 
- Film is Roosevelt Memorial Association compilation of footage from TR's 1913-1914 trip to South America during which he combined a series of lectures with an expedition in the Amazon Valley of Brazil to collect zoological specimens. The Roosevelt group was combined with a group of Brazilian scientists under the leadership of Col. Candido Mariano da Silva Rondon to explore the course of the uncharted Rio da Dúvida, the River of Doubt. In 1926 George M. Dyott, an English explorer, was asked by the Roosevelt Memorial Association to retrace TR's voyage down the River of Doubt and to film his trip in order to supplement the footage from the 1914 trip.
- There are shots of Roosevelt's party on board the Vandyck; left to right are: Anthony Fiala, George K. Cherrie, an ornithologist, Father John A. Zahm, a friend of TR's, TR, Kermit Roosevelt, Frank Harper, TR's secretary, and Leo E. Miller, a mammalogist. TR and his wife, Edith Roosevelt, alight from a small steamer and are met by a uniformed official; location may be Rio de Janeiro. At what is probably the Rio de Janeiro harbor area, there are shots of TR walking, preceded by reporters; TR, with three unidentified men, waves from a carriage; TR is seated in a trolley car, the man next to him (closest to camera) may be Edwin V. Morgan, American Ambassador to Brazil; long shot of the Monroe Palace.
- On the steps of the Guanabara Palace, Lauro S. Müller, Brazilian Foreign Minister, TR, and others pose. Shots of TR and party aboard a small launch, probably on the Sepotuba River. Views of riverbank, probably from the Nyoac, Col. Rondon's river steamer, which carried the Roosevelt-Rondon expedition up the Paraguay River; men disembark as the Nyoac lands. Views of the group leaving the Nyoac to participate in a reception at the Fazenda São João on the Cuyabá (Cuiabá) River.
- Shots of TR preparing to go hunting and returning with his party, possibly at the ranch, Las Palmeiras, on the Taquary (Taquari) River; TR, Kermit, and Col. Rondon pose with a jaguar skin. Views of Kermit, Miller, Col. Rondon, and Cherrie on the Nyoac; TR shoots crocodiles from the boat. Views of wildlife and plantlife are included. Scenes depict the exacting journey down the river. There is a still photo of TR, Col. Rondon, and others with a group of Nhambiquara (Nambicuara) Indians near the Juruena River.
- Although the Roosevelt party did not see any Indians on the River of Doubt, their presence in the bordering jungle was evident; the man examining a broken branch may be Commander Dyott; the Dyott party did meet Indians and there is footage of several who were called Arara Indians by Dyott. The Roosevelt-Rondon group reached the end of the unknown portion of the River Apr. 15, 1914.
- TR, suffering from illness and injuries incurred during his long journey, returned from Manaos (Manaus) to New York; the group of men on the riverboat traveling on the Madeira River are probably members of Fiala's group rather than TR's (Fiala left the Roosevelt-Rondon party at Utiarity to descend the Papagaio, the Juruena, and the Tapajós Rivers).
- Contributor Names
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919.
- Rondon, Cândido Mariano da Silva, 1865-1958.
- Dyott, G. M. (George Miller).
- Cherrie, George Kruck, 1865-1946.
- Zahm, John Augustine, 1851-1921.
- Roosevelt, Kermit, 1889-1943.
- Miller, Leo E. (Leo Edward), 1887-
- Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow, 1861-1948.
- Morgan, Edwin V.
- Müller, Lauro S.
- Fiala, Anthony, 1869-1950, camera.
- Roosevelt Memorial Association.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Roosevelt Film Library, [1928?].
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt-Rondon Scientific Expedition--(1913-1914)
- - Arara Indians
- - Nambicuara Indians
- - Indians of South America--Brazil
- - Palaces--Brazil
- - Amazon River Valley
- - Brazil--Description and travel
- - Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)--Description and travel
- - Cuiabá River (Brazil)
- - Madeira River (Brazil and Bolivia)
- - Roosevelt River (Brazil)
- Short films
- Documentary films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Editor, Caroline Gentry; photographer, Anthony Fiala.
- - Appearing: President Roosevelt, Candido Mariano da Silva, George M. Dyott, Anthony Fiala, George K. Cherrie, John A. Zahm, Kermit Roosevelt, Frank Harper, Leo E. Miller, Edith Roosevelt, Edwin V. Morgan, Lauro S. Müller.
- - Duration: 4:03 (part 1), 3:41 (part 2), 4:09 (part 3), 4:04 (part 4), 4:06 (part 5), 4:13 (part 6), 4:22 (part 7) at 18 fps.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association numbers: RMA 308-04 and 308-05 (copy 1) ; RMA 309A-03 and 309A-04 (copy 2) ; RMA 325-05 and 325-06 (copy 3).
- - MAVIS 1203954; The River of Doubt .
- - Sources used: Roosevelt Memorial Association.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association.
- - viewing print, dupe neg; Received: June 1976 from LC film lab; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- viewing print. 2 film reels of 2 (1949 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 2 film reels of 2 (1932 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 3) 2 film reels of 2 (1994 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 2 film reels of 2 (1949 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg (copy 2) 2 film reels of 2 (1932 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg (copy 3) 2 film reels of 2 (1995 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 8937-8938 (viewing print)
- FEA 8941-8942 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FEA 8943-8944 (viewing print, copy 3)
- FPB 9889-9890 (dupe neg)
- FPB 9895-9896 (dupe neg, copy 2)
- FPB 9897-9898 (dupe neg, copy 3)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsCherrie, George Kruck
Dyott, G. M. (George Miller)
Miller, Leo E. (Leo Edward)
Morgan, Edwin V.
Müller, Lauro S.
Rondon, Cândido Mariano Da Silva
Roosevelt Memorial Association
Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
Zahm, John Augustine
LocationAmazon River Valley
Rio De Janeiro
Amazon River Valley
Cherrie, George Kruck
Cuiabá River (Brazil)
Description and Travel
Dyott, G. M.
Indians of South America
Madeira River (Brazil and Bolivia)
Miller, Leo E.
Morgan, Edwin V.
Rio De Janeiro (Brazil)
Rondon, Cândido Mariano Da Silva
Roosevelt River (Brazil)
Roosevelt, Edith Kermit Carow
Roosevelt-Rondon Scientific Expedition
Zahm, J. A.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: [email protected]):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, Cândido Mariano Da Silva Rondon, G. M Dyott, George Kruck Cherrie, John Augustine Zahm, Kermit Roosevelt, Leo E Miller, et al. [The River of Doubt 2]. [United States: Roosevelt Film Library, ?, 1928] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000367/. (Accessed February 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Roosevelt, T., Rondon, C. M. D. S., Dyott, G. M., Cherrie, G. K., Zahm, J. A., Roosevelt, K. [...] Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1928) [The River of Doubt 2]. [United States: Roosevelt Film Library, ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000367/.
MLA citation style:
Roosevelt, Theodore, et al. [The River of Doubt 2]. [United States: Roosevelt Film Library, ?, 1928] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000367/>.