Film, Video Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa Cartoon--Theodore Roosevelt's arrival in Africa
About this Item
- Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa
- Other Title
- Cartoon--Theodore Roosevelt's arrival in Africa
- Animated caricature of the animals' attitude towards TR's arrival in Africa. Views of a huge tree filled with frightened animals, as a monkey on the ground peers over a cliff; he begins jumping up and down, pointing and climbing the tree as TR appears over the rim of the cliff with gun in his hand.
- Contributor Names
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- [United States : s.n., 1909?]
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919--Travel--Africa
- - Presidents--America
- - Caricatures and cartoons--Social aspects
- - Editorial cartoons
- - Africa
- Short films
- Animated films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 0:20 at 24 fps.
- - Viewing print (16 mm.) and non-viewing pos lack interior title.
- - Roosevelt Memorial Association numbers: RMA 321-04-02; RMA 321-04-03.
- - MAVIS 1203931; Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa.
- - Appears to be based on Homer Davenport's cartoon The frightened animals; hist! see who's coming, originally published in The Evening mail, New York, March 23, 1909.
- - National Park Service acquired from Roosevelt Memorial Association (RMA). RMA purchase from Geiss.
- - Sources used: Shaw, A. A cartoon history of Roosevelt's career, 1910:194; Lorant, S. The life and times of Theodore Roosevelt, 1959:515.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print, dupe neg, masterpos, non-viewing pos; Received: May 1968 from USDA ; preservation; Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (11 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print, copy 2. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (11 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- masterpos. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- non-viewing pos. 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 0884 (viewing print)
- FEA 6732 (viewing print)
- FEA 9652 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 8205 (dupe neg)
- FPB 7189 (dupe neg)
- FPC 0474 (masterpos)
- FRA 0871 (non-viewing pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in Theodore Roosevelt: His Life and Times on Film, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are made available here with permission from the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster Bay, N.Y. 11771 (Internet address: email@example.com):The Story of the Panama Canal 
T. R.'s Return from Africa, 1910 
A Visit to Theodore Roosevelt at His Home at Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, L.I., 1912
Roosevelt, Friend of the Birds 
The Roosevelt Dam 
The River of Doubt .
Permission may be needed from the Theodore Roosevelt Association before using these films for other purposes.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa. [United States: s.n., ?, 1909] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000108/.
APA citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1909) Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa. [United States: s.n., ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mp76000108/.
MLA citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. Cartoon--TR's arrival in Africa. [United States: s.n., ?, 1909] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mp76000108/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCartoon of TR's reception by crowned heads of Europe
Cartoon of Theodore Roosevelt's reception by crowned heads of Europe Animated cartoon of Roosevelt's reception in Europe during his April-June 1910 tour. Sequences of crowned heads of Europe sitting in an open automobile, labeled Europe, located on a pier. TR, carrying a...
- Contributor: Nicholas II - Franz Joseph I - William II - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Alfonso XIII - Manuel II - Edward VII - Roosevelt, Theodore - Fallières, Armand - Victor Emmanuel III
- Date: 1910
Film, VideoTR in Africa [1909, 2]
Theodore Roosevelt in Africa [1909, 2] | Roosevelt in Africa Scenes of African peoples and of TR's safari party, all probably filmed in British East Africa (Kenya) in 1909. View of TR planting a tree in front of trading company building, possibly...
- Contributor: Kearton, Cherry - Community Motion Picture Service, Inc - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1909
Film, VideoTheodore Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt leaving the White House | Hon. Theo. Roosevelt, Ass't Sec'y, U.S. Navy leaving White House | Honorable Theodore Roosevelt, Assistant Secretary, United States Navy leaving White House | TR as Assistant Secretary of the Navy leaving the White House, 1897 | Theodore Roosevelt as Assistant Secretary of the Navy leaving the White House, 1897 TR, in formal dress with hat, walks down the steps of the Treasury Building in Washington, D.C. and turns and walks toward the stationary camera. The south portico of the White House...
- Contributor: Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - American Mutoscope and Biograph Company - Roosevelt, Theodore - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - American Mutoscope Company
- Date: 1898
Film, VideoTR's arrival in Panama, November 1906. [No. 2]
Theodore Roosevelt's arrival in Panama, November 1906. TR became the first President in office to visit a foreign country while on an inspection tour of the Panama Canal. On November 15, 1906, in Panama City there are views of...
- Contributor: Roosevelt Memorial Association - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Miles, Herbert J.
- Date: 1906
Film, VideoThe River of Doubt. [No. 2]
River of Doubt  Part 1: Several members of TR's group pose aboard the Vandyck, the ship on which TR sailed from New York in the fall of 1913. Left to right are: Anthony Fiala, former...
- Contributor: Fiala, Anthony - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Roosevelt Memorial Association - Gentry, Caroline - Roosevelt Memorial Association. Film Library - Roosevelt, Theodore
- Date: 1928