Top of page
- Participating publishers submit via PrePub Book
- A completed CIP Request
- The full text or, at minimum, core required
materials to the Library of Congress for each eligible title
- The CIP Program staff member
- Reviews the application and text for completeness and eligibility
- Assigns a Library of Congress Control Number
- Forwards the application to the appropriate cataloging section
- The cataloger
- Completes the descriptive cataloging
- Assigns subject headings
- Assigns full Library of Congress Classification and Dewey Decimal Classification
- The publisher receives the completed CIP data and prints it on the copyright page of the published book.
- Concurrently, a machine-readable version of the record is distributed to large libraries, bibliographic
utilities, and book vendors around the world.
- The publisher sends a copy of the published book to the CIP Program. These books are subject to claiming.
- Upon receipt of the book, a Library staff member
- Adds other data elements to the catalog record (such as pagination and size)
- Ensures that the data elements in the record accurately describe the published work. There may be
changes in title, subtitle, series, author, or subject.
- After verification, the machine-readable version of the record is redistributed.